Why become a member? ×

Cab for Genzler Magellan 800

WhiteRoom

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a Genzler Magellan 800 for what I think was a pretty good used deal. I'm looking to get an 8 ohm cab for practise and small gig use (once I find a band) and then get another if I ever need the full 800w at 4ohms. 

Everyone seems to be using Genzler cabs, which is fair enough, but I just wanted to see if anyone used anything different and had any recommendations. It's been a while since I had an amp, and that was an Orange Bass Terror with an isobaric cab so quite a different animal. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

27 minutes ago, WhiteRoom said:

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a Genzler Magellan 800 for what I think was a pretty good used deal. I'm looking to get an 8 ohm cab for practise and small gig use (once I find a band) and then get another if I ever need the full 800w at 4ohms. 

Everyone seems to be using Genzler cabs, which is fair enough, but I just wanted to see if anyone used anything different and had any recommendations. It's been a while since I had an amp, and that was an Orange Bass Terror with an isobaric cab so quite a different animal. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I've used mine through a few different cabs and all have sounded great in their own way. At first I was using a Tecamp 2x12 which is a very clean cab with an even response across the frequency range, with that cab I found that a little bit of contour B (the mid bump one with the orange LED) dialled in with an otherwise flat~ish EQ produced a big punchy sound that worked brilliantly in a band situation with guitar and keys. More recently I've been using it with a Barefaced Two10 which is a very coloured cab and has an inherent low mid bump baked it, think more an old school Ampeg kind of vibe. At first I didn't care for the pairing but after using them together for a while and figuring out how to get the best from them by requiring a slightly more heavy handed use of the EQ than with the Tecamp, I now think they're an awesome match. You just need to reign in that low mid bump with the semi-parametric EQ a bit, IMO, but the rig will punch for days and is laughably loud for it's teeny weeny size. 

I use the Ampeg SVT212AV 4ohm 600w cab ( amazing ) and added the SVT112AV ( 8 ohm ) as this results in 2.67 ohms total which I believe the Magellan 800 can handle 

I use the TH700 like this and very pleased with the depth and fullness of the sound. Very robust cabs 

Edited by BassAdder60

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd get a Barefaced Super Compact or the Compact T.

I've used mine for the last 8 years. It's a small, light weight cab with a big sound and lots of volume. Also sounds good at a whisper.

+1 for Barefaced Super Compact. 

BUT

Consider LFSYS Silverstone 1x12. Lovely powerful FRFR cab with a super lowend delivery. Heard it a shoot out and it really appealed to my tastes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'd get a Barefaced Super Compact or the Compact T.

I've used mine for the last 8 years. It's a small, light weight cab with a big sound and lots of volume. Also sounds good at a whisper.

I haven't seen a bad word about Barefaced, definitely on my list! The Compact T seems a little like the Genzler Bass Array 123. 

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

I've used mine through a few different cabs and all have sounded great in their own way. At first I was using a Tecamp 2x12 which is a very clean cab with an even response across the frequency range, with that cab I found that a little bit of contour B (the mid bump one with the orange LED) dialled in with an otherwise flat~ish EQ produced a big punchy sound that worked brilliantly in a band situation with guitar and keys. More recently I've been using it with a Barefaced Two10 which is a very coloured cab and has an inherent low mid bump baked it, think more an old school Ampeg kind of vibe. At first I didn't care for the pairing but after using them together for a while and figuring out how to get the best from them by requiring a slightly more heavy handed use of the EQ than with the Tecamp, I now think they're an awesome match. You just need to reign in that low mid bump with the semi-parametric EQ a bit, IMO, but the rig will punch for days and is laughably loud for it's teeny weeny size. 

I'm also a guitarist who plays very clean Fender amps so I get where you're coming from. It feels a bit like cooking with a sauce that has chilli in so you have to dial back what you put in! I do think I'd like the old school tone, I've been playing with the headphone and DI out and the B contour is where I'm finding my favourite tones from for sure.

37 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I use the Ampeg SVT212AV 4ohm 600w cab ( amazing ) and added the SVT112AV ( 8 ohm ) as this results in 2.67 ohms total which I believe the Magellan 800 can handle 

I use the TH700 like this and very pleased with the depth and fullness of the sound. Very robust cabs 

I almost went for a Tone Hammer before this one came up, so I'll check these out too.

Thanks for all the replies, plenty to look over!

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

+1 for Barefaced Super Compact. 

BUT

Consider LFSYS Silverstone 1x12. Lovely powerful FRFR cab with a super lowend delivery. Heard it a shoot out and it really appealed to my tastes. 

Sorry, didn't see this post when I was replying! That's thrown a complete spanner in the works, they look really good. Not much in it between them and Barefaced it seems, it's going to be tricky to pick for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteRoom said:

Sorry, didn't see this post when I was replying! That's thrown a complete spanner in the works, they look really good. Not much in it between them and Barefaced it seems, it's going to be tricky to pick for sure.

Just for clarity. 

I used one or two BF Super Compacts for a number of years with two or three bands.  Depending on the band and venue it was a mix of Mesa Subway D 800 , Fender Rumble HD 800 or Fender Rumble 500 head with either one or two BF Super Compacts and All my olde school needs were satisfied. 

But bands and tech have moved on and I still have my three amps (sold the BF Super Compacts)but I  managed to source a BC112 mk3 cab and installed the same speaker, HF driver ,horn and crossover as the LFsys Silverstone and it fully covers my current needs.

LFsys also do a really supaduper 1x12 Monaco cab which is capable of handling 600w but in my view the lower powered Silverstone delivers a much more Olde School vibe that appeals to my tonal needs. 

I only came to that conclusion having heard all the cabs in a shoot out. So before parting with your hard earned cash  TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1