Why become a member? ×

right hand synth bass, left hand tapping

toneknob

Tony Levin with Peter Gabriel at The O2 last night.

Also featured: DarkRay bass (switched red for Red Rain of course), NS upright, Chapman Stick, backing vocals, dance moves, on-stage ad hoc photography

Tony Levin is 77 years old *doffs chapeau*

20230619_203917.thumb.jpg.038b187eab6d86926c9da9762b6e7dd3.jpg

Edited by toneknob
  • Like 6

Yep, the whole band are having a great time. Great to see some newbies in the line-up, while at the same time as well as TLev, you've got David Rhodes and Manu Katche who were in the band when I first saw them in 1987 (and from years before then as well). Ayanna Witter-Johnson did a great job of duetting with PG on Don't Give Up.

Also for time-perspective I am closer to being 77 than I am seeing Peter Gabriel live for the first time :(

Saw them in Birmingham at the weekend, Levin looks like he's having a ball... 

Shame the PA didn't have the LF to bring out his work properly, sounded great for the more delicate stuff, but lacked weight.

Excellent gig though.

IMG_7224.thumb.JPG.f12b4c3ace8e43e0f3c71e8a58500eca.JPG

• Like 2

On 20/06/2023 at 08:34, toneknob said:

Tony Levin is 77 years old *doffs chapeau*

20230619_203917.thumb.jpg.038b187eab6d86926c9da9762b6e7dd3.jpg

A mere youngster! Marshall Allen still tours the world leading The Sun Ra Arkestra, playing saxophone. He also performs on flute, oboe, piccolo, and EWI (an electronic valve instrument made by Steiner, Crumar company).

He's 99 years old.

I saw them last Friday in Manchester, thought it was a great gig although the bass was not as loud as I would have liked, which I accept may have been down to where we were sitting. Nice to hear lots of new material too including a good few unreleased tracks, which I thought was a bold move by Gabriel, given his extensive back catalogue. 

On 21/06/2023 at 19:39, MacDaddy said:

A mere youngster! Marshall Allen still tours the world leading The Sun Ra Arkestra, playing saxophone. He also performs on flute, oboe, piccolo, and EWI (an electronic valve instrument made by Steiner, Crumar company).

He's 99 years old.

I know him. He was two years below me at school.