Why become a member? ×

FS: New Price - Ashdown CTM100 valve amp £500 o.n.o. - *SOLD*
£550
Potton, Central East Bedfordshire

*** Now SOLD ***

Hi Folks, 

Due to using my Mesa Boogie gear so much for live work, and having  finally finished a recording project I was using this on, up For Sale is my Ashdown CTM100 all valve bass amp. 

I'm looking for £SOLD for it, which I think is a fair price given the cheapest I can find one new online is £1,149 at The Gallery in London. 

(Please note that this is not one of the UK built models, hence why I've priced it as I have.) 

I bought the amp about 3 years ago (during the first lockdown break) from another Basschat member, Dan (who's BC name escapes me, sorry) and I know from him that it did belong to @Mertonat one time, so it has a bit of a Basschat pedigree to it's name! 

I would describe the exterior condition of the amp as 'good' , though it's clearly been used, as the photos show.  In terms of the electronics of the amp, everything works as it should and there are no issues with it. 

The amp sounds fabulous and offers a lot of tonal variety, as this online review explains so well... 

"... this head delievers, and does not leave you searching for more. From the tube saturation, and warm heavenly tone of this head, that sits so well in a band mix. The only thing youll be searching for is more time to play it." 

Links/reviews https://youtu.be/KqfjMLGwo90

https://youtu.be/r_eDTYmESRQ

https://youtu.be/WN9vaSR6QG0

This is a great amp and is priced to sell to someone who I hope will make good use of it.

Please note that the G&L bass and Aguilar cab shown in the photos aren't for sale. They're there for decorative purposes only... 😁

Collection from Potton, Central Bedfordshire much preferred but I'm also happy to drive up to an hour from my location to do a classic 'Basschat meet up' somewhere mutually convenient.

As an absolute last resort, fully insured shipping is possible at buyers expense and risk, if that's the only way to get a deal done. 

Trials welcome here in Potton and there will be plenty of tea/coffee on tap for you whilst you test the amp out with your own cab and bass (if that's what you would prefer?). 

Any questions, please ask here or send me a PM. 

Thanks for looking. 👍😊

Cheers 

Nik

TECH Spec, reviews etc: 

"The CTM-100's signal path is all valve - even the D.I and effects loop are driven by valves - so even if you are taking an audio feed from the D.I or effects loop send, there's nothing but valve tone being fed. Choose your instrument input and away you go: high and low inputs tackle any input gain issues you have from low or high output instruments. The 'low' input is for instruments with a low output. What is also interesting is that the inputs are also impedance matching. This is important, more so for passive basses, and put simply, helps to ensure you get the best tone from your instrument to the signal path under that cool exterior.

When it comes to tonal options, well there's quite a lot to get through! The first thing I should mention though, is that the EQ knobs and related push buttons are all fairly interactive due to the use of passive circuitry. The 'mellow' button for example essentially reconfigures the EQ curve on each of the controls, giving you a smoother bass sound with less aggressive top end and to me what sounds like a resultant boost in the low mids. With it engaged, all of the controls react differently – so it is not just a narrow mid boost. This is something to take in to consideration when trying out this amplifier. Similarly, the Deep and Mid shift controls actually seem to change the range of adjustment in the Bass and Middle controls too.

Again, being passive, the tone controls are more subtle than say that of the EVO heads with active boost and cut across a 'graphic equaliser'. Some will love this, others will prefer more dramatic tonal changes. The inherent tone of the valve head is there to stay though and it is good. Deep and rounded and almost bell like in the chime of my low notes."

CTM-100 Specifications

Power Output (RMS) 100 Watts

Speaker Outputs 3 x Speakon/Jack Combi 8/4/2 Ohms

DI Output Tube derived

Impedance Min Load 2 Ohms

EQ Passive Bass, Middle and Treble

Effects Send Yes

Effects Return Yes

Pre-Amp Tubes 2 x Ecc83/12ax7 2 x Ecc82/12au7 1 x Ecc99

Output Tubes 2 x 6550 (100W)

Weight (kg) 19Kg

IMG_20230624_152418.jpg

IMG_20230624_152701.jpg

IMG_20230624_152356.jpg

IMG_20230624_144808.jpg

IMG_20230624_144915.jpg

IMG_20230624_145104.jpg

IMG_20230624_145110.jpg

IMG_20230624_145115.jpg

IMG_20230624_145119.jpg

IMG_20230624_145122.jpg

IMG_20230624_145215.jpg

IMG_20230624_145220.jpg

IMG_20230624_152334.jpg

IMG_20230624_152343.jpg

Edited by silverfoxnik
New photos
  • Like 7

• silverfoxnik changed the title to FS: Ashdown CTM100 valve amp £550 o.n.o.
5 minutes ago, Merton said:

Great amp, great price, great guy to buy from!

When I owned it Ashdown gave it a full service and revalve so it should be sweet for many a year to come :)

Thanks Mert 👍

The Ashdown guys are great to deal with - Dave sent me a bunch of preamp valves last year after I had a chat wirh him. 

P. S. How's it going in the new band with Wendy? 

56 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Thanks Mert 👍

The Ashdown guys are great to deal with - Dave sent me a bunch of preamp valves last year after I had a chat wirh him. 

P. S. How's it going in the new band with Wendy? 

Slowly! Guitarist #1 has hurt his hand so we’ve been out of action since early May. Hoping to get back to it in July and get some gigs booked for the second half of the year coz the cupboard is bare with that at the moment! Keeping occupied with Katy Hurt gigs and some other bits and bobs though :)

12 minutes ago, Merton said:

Slowly! Guitarist #1 has hurt his hand so we’ve been out of action since early May. Hoping to get back to it in July and get some gigs booked for the second half of the year coz the cupboard is bare with that at the moment! Keeping occupied with Katy Hurt gigs and some other bits and bobs though :)

Sorry to hear that.. Wendy's great though, so hopefully you'll be enjoying lots more gigs with her soon! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I did hear Ashdown had a few CTM100 made in China … and all are now made in the U.K. 

They are great amps and like most regret selling them. 

GLWYS 

I don't know if there's any difference sonically between a China built and a UK built model - probably not - but instinctively, I would think a UK built one would hold a higher resale value. 

I’ve owned both (because, being the fool that I am, I’ve had this model 3 times 🤣🤣) - I wouldn’t have a clue which was which based on sound or construction, except the little tiny writing on the back.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’ve owned both (because, being the fool that I am, I’ve had this model 3 times 🤣🤣) - I wouldn’t have a clue which was which based on sound or construction, except the little tiny writing on the back.

😂

That's like me when I went through my 'Roscoe Beck V string' period...

I had 5 of them over 10 years - it got more than just a little excessive and silly! 😁

• Haha 1

On 19/06/2023 at 08:54, Merton said:

Great amp, great price, great guy to buy from!

When I owned it Ashdown gave it a full service and revalve so it should be sweet for many a year to come :)

Thursday morning BUMP for this all valve, Ashdown classic! ☺️

• Like 1

So, I had a bit of a play with this amp for the first time in a while yesterday...

Gotta say, with the Aguilar 212 cab pictured, it makes one hell of a glorious sound - especially with a P Bass! 

Loud, punchy, fat and warm tones on the one hand, which will work for just about any kind of music...

And then, just by using the mid and treble switches, you're into that gnarly, cutting straight through the mix rock/punk territory. It's full of character, this amp... 

When comparing it directly with my Mesa M-Pulse 600, the Mesa is definitely the more refined and tame sounding of the 2 amps. The Ashdown is definitely more 'alive', 3-D sounding to my ears.

And the CTM-100 wants for nothing in the (perceived) volume department either. 

Obviously, this is completely subjective, and my ears are hardly in mint condition themselves after 45 years of being in bands, but in a straight up A/B with the M-Pulse, this amp more than holds it's own, and then some. 

Having said all of that, I do need to move it on (as I typically have my eye on something else), so I'm going to drop the price to £500 to see if that sparks some interest. 

Enjoy the Sunday weather folks - it's going to be a hot one! 🌞😁

• silverfoxnik changed the title to FS: New Price - Ashdown CTM100 valve amp £500 o.n.o.

That’s an amazing bargain for a superb amp 

I can vouch for the loudness of these heads as I gigged the same head with my SVT212AV cab in a loud rock band.

Great amps and for £500 it’s a bargain

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Oops!  I've completely forgotten to bump this fantastic all valve amp up the listings recently, so in haste (as I'm my way to Gatwick Airport), this is a...

'I'm just about to go on holiday' BUMP

Back in 8 days time, but will be checking in on Basschat from time to time (as you do) from the pool side... 

Obviously, I'll be a lot poorer after being on my hols with both my kids, so feel free to make me a sensible-ish offer for this fabulous sounding bass amp... 

You never know - you might get lucky! 😉🍀😁

Cheers 

Nik