Why become a member? ×

I need another cab I thinks....

karlthebassist

Like it says

I have a Markbass LMII and a Augilar GS112 (which I have only had a couple of weeks). In practices with a loud drummer and a not very loud guitarfairy, my little cab is being driven to its limits, and altough I am getting a very clear and articulate sound, it lacks bottom end sufficient to fill the air.

However, at a pub gig on Thursday I used my little rig and it was just loud enough, with room to spare should I need - so the rig has its uses, but I need to be able to add something to give me some extra booty.

The obvious path is to add another GS112 or GS112NT, but will I get the extra bottom end I'm after? They are 8 Ohm cabs so I'd end up with a 4 Ohm load and extra headroom I guess so that would be good. But will I just get the same sound but louder? Or will it be a case that I now have loads more of Bass, Mid and Trebble, so to get the percieved increase in Bass compared to the single 112 cab do I turn down the Mid and Trebble?

Other option, get a 2x12 or 4x10 cab, 4 Ohm and use that instead, and use my GS112 for quieter things? In which case I'd want to buy used, and have seen a EBS Neo 2x12 on here that I fancy...

Any suggestions?

I went down the same route. 2 GS112's will sound great and can get loud so they might be loud enough for you. They should easily handle a 500 watt amp, but I also do some [i]very[/i] loud gigs so I brought a 410 as well.

I use a GS112 and a GS112NT along with a MB SA450 and they work great. I had a gig last night in a pretty big hall and it held it's own - I placed the NT on the floor of the stage and the 112 on a table closer to ear height and the sound was great with plenty of bottom end.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='477609' date='May 2 2009, 11:13 AM']Like it says

I have a Markbass LMII and a Augilar GS112 (which I have only had a couple of weeks). In practices with a loud drummer and a not very loud guitarfairy, my little cab is being driven to its limits, and altough I am getting a very clear and articulate sound, it lacks bottom end sufficient to fill the air.

However, at a pub gig on Thursday I used my little rig and it was just loud enough, with room to spare should I need - so the rig has its uses, but I need to be able to add something to give me some extra booty.

The obvious path is to add another GS112 or GS112NT, but will I get the extra bottom end I'm after? They are 8 Ohm cabs so I'd end up with a 4 Ohm load and extra headroom I guess so that would be good. But will I just get the same sound but louder? Or will it be a case that I now have loads more of Bass, Mid and Trebble, so to get the percieved increase in Bass compared to the single 112 cab do I turn down the Mid and Trebble?

Other option, get a 2x12 or 4x10 cab, 4 Ohm and use that instead, and use my GS112 for quieter things? In which case I'd want to buy used, and have seen a EBS Neo 2x12 on here that I fancy...

Any suggestions?[/quote]

pm'd ya mate......

got a neo 2x12 and proline 4x10 for sale......

Two GS112s will go a lot louder than one, and because they can move twice as much air they'll sound bassier at volume as well - it all comes down to moving air when amplifying bass guitar, which requires a combination of cone area and undistorted speaker excursion (back & forth movement). The GS112 woofer can't do much clean excursion so you need to increase the cone area to get high SPL bottom.

Alex

Karl

Your sig says "Aguilar GS112 - IT'S HERE! AT LAST! AND I LOVE IT!", obviously you should try before you buy, but it's my opinon you should get another one and love them even more! Gigged again last night and didn't let me down.

It's a pity you don't live closer, you could've popped along to a gig or rehearsal of mine and checked out my rig. However, one of my bands is based in Leicester and rehearses just off the M69\M1 junction if that helps, although I won't be rehearsing again until I return from the US at the end of May.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='478128' date='May 3 2009, 11:18 AM']Karl

Your sig says "Aguilar GS112 - IT'S HERE! AT LAST! AND I LOVE IT!", obviously you should try before you buy, but it's my opinon you should get another one and love them even more! Gigged again last night and didn't let me down.

It's a pity you don't live closer, you could've popped along to a gig or rehearsal of mine and checked out my rig. However, one of my bands is based in Leicester and rehearses just off the M69\M1 junction if that helps, although I won't be rehearsing again until I return from the US at the end of May.[/quote]

Oh yeah I do love my GS112 a hell of a lot. I needed a cab despirately when I ordered it becuase I had just offloaded my Markbass 103 combo part ex with a LMII and had no cab and two band in the loom... So I ordered the cab that the most LMII players on here seemed to use lol. And to be honest, I have been VERY VERY lucky becuse my tone is now almost exactly how I've wanted it for years - just lacking a bit of bottom end. So I think I'm going to go for another GS112 - most likely an GS112NT.

[quote name='Rowbee' post='478340' date='May 3 2009, 05:08 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47368"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47368[/url]

Might still be for sale. :)[/quote]

yep, ive pm'd him. cheers. hopefully a mate of mine will buy my peavery maxx preamp off me which will contribute to the funds needed...

I got the EXACT same rig!! LMII & GS112, & adding another GS112 or as U say a GS112NT IMO is THE way to go!!! I LOVE the sound of the GS112- clean rich & classy all the way!!!!! 2 will just make it MORE Than DOUBLY as good. I'm trying this atm & am VERY impressed!!! PLENTY of volume for almost ANY situation.......... Almost makes me wonder if I need my Berg NV cabs,,,,??? ALMOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The LMII REALLY shines with this 2 x GS112 rig IMO. They compliment each other superbly!