Why become a member? ×

Gatekeeper?

SpondonBassed

Question

I was refused entry this morning and discovered the site trying to load a script called Gatekeeperconsent dot com.

So I allowed it temporarily and it presented me with a consent management screen that has no Reject All button.  There are far too many check boxes to uncheck to opt out of all of them without a LOT of faff.  I tried to log in despite this and failed.

I then tried to post on this section as a guest and was told that a member was already using my email.  I took the option to reset my password and here I am.

What's happening?

8 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I saw a load of cookie malarkey too, I just unchecked everything and did save, there should always be a "reject all" option by law on this stuff now

Are you sure you unchecked everything?  The list of vendors is very long.

Just now, Kiwi said:

I'll put my hand up for that.

I was doing something in cloudflare and it had unanticipated side effects.  So things have been put back the way they were and everything should be back to normal. 

Sorry.

TFFT.

With the recent news of scammers targetting Basschat I wondered if I might have been hacked.

Thanks for putting my mind to rest.

I saw the cookie banner this morning and thought well yeah, there probably should be one for Basschat. Most cookie banners these days aren't very intuitive and the ezoic one falls into that category.  The other thing with cookie banners is that some folks won't care much having to complete an extra step before login or while browsing the forum online or offline. Having some choice to reject cookies is always better than no choice imho so well done admins for at least looking into it. If it does end up being a permanent feature on here, a cookie announcment in the site news might be an idea to alay fears that the site has something wrong with it.

So far we haven't needed a cookie permissions pop up because the site doesn't store anything other than the barest minimum of information.  So we understand that gets us under the radar for a cookie permissions thing.  For what it's worth, Google Chrome will no longer be storing third party cookies, that change is due to happen in about ten days.