Why become a member? ×

FS/FT Music Man Bongo 5 HH in Lava Pearl - Price Drop! £1650 - *SOLD*
£1750
Lingfield

Killerfridge

**SOLD/TRADED**

I said I would never sell this monster, but the time has come to admit that I just prefer the sound of a Stingray, and I'm fed up of switching the fretless neck out on my 4 string!

Here we have my session bass that has for the past 10 years mostly been used in studio or pit, having only made it to the stage once or twice; my 2004 Music Man Bongo 5HH in stunning Lava Pearl. It cuts through the mix like nothing else, and the 4 band preamp is just nuts.

It has a couple of small marks, including the customary chip on the headstock, but nothing that you'd notice unless you looked closely (all pictured for full disclosure). **EDIT** - I've just noticed a couple of extra nicks on the body that weren't originally pictured. As such I'm dropping the sale price by £100 as it's only fair. Pictures showing the dings will be added soon, but they are both on the back/underside of the body, so pretty unnoticeable unless you go hunting for them **EDIT** It has action so low it plays itself if you look too hard at it, and is probably the easiest instrument to play I've ever had the joy of encountering.

Last time it went live (link corrected):

Some home recording too:

PXL_20230522_063601979.thumb.jpg.8bf29e3137a83baede5ad51fb0687806.jpg

PXL_20220509_134857545.thumb.jpg.bb5e953a82a3e4e76c16e0c4b614ad43.jpgPXL_20230522_063442066.thumb.jpg.dc8388f9d400e61056e8980460845ee0.jpgPXL_20220509_134920344.thumb.jpg.01f3c1eb9d171132e5bd9e2d1883b9d9.jpgPXL_20230522_063513648.thumb.jpg.fb79746d4005012d5ded38e1b0ef7188.jpgPXL_20220509_134905273.thumb.jpg.3edb2ad5c18a8b6bc5cdb315e2287952.jpg

Serial number details:

Serial #F10925

ManufacturedNovember 5th, 2004

Build Code162-29-22-01-00-CR

ModelBongo 5 HH

ColorLava Pearl

NeckRosewood Painted Bong

PickguardBlack Pickguard Bongo 5

HardwareChrome Hardware

It comes with the generic hard case (no official MusicMan one unfortunately) + shipping.

Preferably I would be looking to trade for a Stingray 5 (Special, Piezo, H, HH, I'd consider any variation) but if you've got something interesting I'll hear any offer!

Edited by Killerfridge
Dropped sale price
  • Like 10

It's one of those colours that no picture can justify - you have to see it in the flesh to get the full effect of how incredible it is.

I used to have an SR5 in the same colour and I'd take it out of its case just to look at it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Lovely bass, would love one of those - I have a spector for sale, if that sold I would certainly be interested, but doesn't seem there is much interest so probably not!

GLWS anyway! 

Oh man, that is a pretty Spector; if I hadn't come to the "Stingray Realization" that prompted this sale I would have bitten your hand off for a trade

• Like 1

• Killerfridge changed the title to FS/FT Music Man Bongo 5 HH in Lava Pearl - Price Drop! £1650
1 hour ago, horrorshowbass said:

Always been intrigued, how does this differ from a traditional ray sound?

Thanks

I hear it as the difference between a P (Stingray) and a J (Bongo). The Stingray sits in the mix, whilst the Bongo more punchy and wants to push through the mix into your ears!. I'll upload a couple of clips compared to a (fretless) Stingray. Whilst not a true comparison it gives a good idea of the sound profile!

Edited by Killerfridge

2 hours ago, Killerfridge said:

I hear it as the difference between a P (Stingray) and a J (Bongo). The Stingray sits in the mix, whilst the Bongo more punchy and wants to push through the mix into your ears!. I'll upload a couple of clips compared to a (fretless) Stingray. Whilst not a true comparison it gives a good idea of the sound profile!

I said I'd do it didn't I?

Ignore the slightly dodgy transitions, everything set flat recorded DI through a VT Bass also set flat, blend at 50%:

Edited by Killerfridge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

To me I hear the sound difference between a fretless and a fretted bass more clearly than anything else!

Yeah it might have had more of an impact than I anticipated! For me it emphasises the key aural difference: the Stingray sounds "looser" whereas the Bongo is more tight and compressed. Obviously though the fretless-ness is going to overpower that though!

Edited by Killerfridge

• Killerfridge changed the title to FS/FT Music Man Bongo 5 HH in Lava Pearl - Price Drop! **SOLD/TRADED**