Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B15N and SB12

deekay911

So, I just moved back to London after 20 years in the US, where I acquired a 1963 Ampeg B15N and a 1965 Ampeg SB12, both original but both updated to new caps, and three wire power leads for safety. They are still 110V, but work fine here with a step-down transformer. I don't gig anymore so want to sell one of these to make some room. I used to use the SB12 for small coffee room/lounge gigs where it was plenty loud enough and with that classic Ampeg tube tone. The B15N was used on a few studio sessions and a handful of larger gigs where I split to a DI for house, but needed some stage volume. My main rig is a B-Amp with Barefaced ST12.

Anyways, I am torn which one to keep, and on searching the internet don't see much history for sales of these here in the UK. Does anyone have any idea of pricing or demand for these? Either they are super rare in the UK, or nobody is interested. I'll be taking photos in the next few days and will post one to the classifieds, but would be interested in comments on value and which one to keep. First world problems eh?

cheers all

• Like 3

I agree that there is something special about a B15. I just love the tone of my B15NF which I use as my practice amp. It makes practice time a pleasure. Mine is in better condition than the one in the link that Bill posted. :)

In your place I would keep the 15" unit as you never know when the urge to play will grab you again. I do hope that the external transformer that you use is rated high enough to operate the amp safely. 

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 3

Another thought is to get a replacement 240V power transformer from Fliptops in the US.  It will somewhat devalue the amp but if you're keeping it it's better than messing about with external step down transformers.

https://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100561/power-transformer-pt108-for-ampeg-b15nb12n

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 2

I don't know anything about the SB12, but i did own the 1968 version of the B-15S, which was a 60W, the highest wattage model of the B-15 amps, loved it, and regret very much being stupid enough to sell it at some point, one of the best amps I ever owned, on a shared 1st place with together with and old Trace Elliot, which I also was stupid enough to sell at some point, though a completely different animal, and fortunately ready available used and for pretty much peanuts too, unlike the B-15S.

Don't make the same mistake I did!

Though again I know nothing about the SB12, but the B-15 amps are absolutely legendary and sounds genuinely amazing so my vote still goes for keeping the B-15N.

Also the 60W of the B-15S I owned were just exactly loud enough to keep up with a loud rock band and play up small bar sized venues without PA support, though I did drive it at it's max capacity.

And despite not really giving it any special treatment and driving it hard it never once failed me, and I am quite sure still works flawlessly somewhere out there.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

I agree that there is something special about a B15. I just love the tone of my B15NF which I use as my practice amp. It makes practice time a pleasure. Mine is in better condition than the one in the link that Bill posted. :)

In your place I would keep the 15" unit as you never know when the urge to play will grab you again. I do hope that the external transformer that you use is rated high enough to operate the amp safely. 

I've been using a large 500W step down transformer for both and its been fine thus far, doesn't even get hot. I'm really on the fence about selling the B15 for the very reason you state - every time I turn it on I smile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Another thought is to get a replacement 240V power transformer from Fliptops in the US.  It will somewhat devalue the amp but if you're keeping it it's better than messing about with external step down transformers.

https://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100561/power-transformer-pt108-for-ampeg-b15nb12n

I did think about this, but they are expensive and do take away some more originality. It would be the way to go if the power pot ever gave up.