Why become a member? ×

Advice needed - buying double bass for beginner

Lucy1

My 12 year old has just started having lessons on the double bass. He's hoping to join the orchestra but also loves jazz etc. He can play one of the school instruments at school but very keen to practice at home. We've looked into hiring but the prices are expensive and I'm wondering about buying one instead. I have no idea where to start! Any advice on make of instrument and price would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Suspect seeing if there's one you can borrow is the best starting point, what size does he need and where are you based. I used to know a guy who looked after orchestral instruments for the local education authority and he couldn't give double basses away fast enough, no one plays them any more apparently, so you might get lucky 👍 

• Like 1

Bristol. Probably 3/4 size. I thought it would be easy to hire from local authority but they are not getting back to us after weeks! Short staffed no doubt. Have been quoted £40 a month from a local shop. 

I would take a look at the Double Bass Room website if you want to buy, and/or give him a ring. He often has a selection of decent laminated basses for under £1000. Or look on this site....

Best bet would be an older bass with laminated back and sides but solid wood top, but a decent all laminate one is ok too.

I would always buy secondhand myself, you can sell on for at least what you paid for it.

Ask a teacher (of the double bass, not maths or whatever) to look at whatever you buy and advise on any set-up work needed.

• Like 2

You can buy a decent beginner double bass for £1400 from places like Thomann, but you may have to pay a few £100 on top to have it set up to your son's liking.

For £1000 you'll be able to buy a good used bass ( there are several in the 'double basses for sale' thread) which, although a bit 'road worn' will have been set up and have proven durability.

If you're looking to spend around the £1000 mark, then I would always recommend going for a used bass - it's taken all the knocks its going to take and survived to tell the tale.

I'm in Bristol - if you want to try one of my East European basses (each bought for less than £1000), you're more than welcome.

Dave

• Like 4

All great advice above. 

Just don't buy a "beginner" bass ... They're build a. Cheap and b. For durability ...sound awful and hard to play.  My school loaned me a half size Boozey & hawkes plywood thing which put me off playing for 10 years.

Buy privately if you can as you will avoid the dealers 10-20%+ mark up. Still, it's also good to go to a dealer and try a few; buying a bass is like buying shoes, some fit some don't... but if you do buy from a dealer be prepared to haggle, their markups often mean there's wiggle room... and that bass you saw on a private sale was pretty good and you might just buy that one .......

• Like 1

All good advice above, but to be honest I'd rent one for a few months so that your son really gets a feel for it and then do the rounds to buy one. £120 spent on 3-months rental could save you significantly more down the line if your son is better able to discriminate an instrument he likes and can play from one he doesn't and can't.

I'm obviously unaware of how tall your son is but going straight to 3/4, which is the size played by most adults, might be quite a big step also. It might be what he's playing at school but that doesn't mean it's the best size for him to develop on 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If he's 12, I'd wonder if he's big enough and strong enough to handle a 3/4? Sounds like a 1/2 would be a better bet for now. Take advice from his teacher, but given that he's likely to grow rapidly in the next year ish, a 1/2 size may be right now but not in 6 months. With that in mind, I'd suggest renting until growing has happened and you can go looking for a good student 3/4 to last him until music college looms. I have a good friend who has a fleet of nice rental basses of various sizes, she might be able to help, but she is in West Sussex! Let me know if you want her details

Neil