Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Phoenix

Just now, crazycloud said:

I used to trade a lot of gear in the early days of teh Interwebz before most people cottoned onto ebay etc and would buy up lots at garage and estate sales etc, so I've had a few Epi, Gibson and lawsuit units come through and they always hung wrong and dived badly, but nothing like the Kramer Lumi. I'd at least try to put one of the Epis around my neck to see how it feels before ordering. I know it won't be the same, but close enough to give you a better idea of how it will sit on your body.

Yes that would’ve been a sensible move, but I’ve already ordered it. 😳 If it’s too bad I’ll stitch some velcro to the underside of my guitar strap. 😀 Or maybe attach a few helium-filled balloons to the headstock.

I used to own a really heavy Fender PJ which had moderate neck dive and I found that annoying but coped (it’s not like I’m playing fast funk or anything too challenging). We’ll see how it goes but I’ve definitely read a few comments around the internet saying the Phoenix specifically doesn’t have much of a neck dive problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The bass arrived and I couldn’t be happier. The workmanship and finish are absolutely outstanding and the neck is perfect for me. The pickups have a very full growl (I put Hi Beams on) and there’s not one thing I’d change about this bass. I can cope with the little bit of neck dive and being tall I have no issue with the distance of the headstock.

I have a bass of spec I chose and for that reason to me it’s worth a lot more than a Gibson Thunderbird. Zero buyer’s remorse!

IMG_7667.jpeg

That is a fine looking interpretation of the T-bird look.  Glad you're happy with it, may it give you many hours of enjoyment!

I'm OG or GTFO when it comes to T-birds (Epiphone counts, they're in the same family, and I would say are making better T-birds than Gibson are right now), but this one has not got me twitching like some T-bird-a-likes do.  It seems relatively faithful to the basic shape and dimensions, just hot-rodded a bit.

Not that you need my approval, but I approve.

17 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I think it looks passive aggressive...

I get your joke relating to lettering, but passive aggressive is exactly what I wanted. It’s a passive bass with a huge sound. 

I’m going through the process of getting used to reaching out further to the first fret but so far it all feels great.

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

That is a fine looking interpretation of the T-bird look.  Glad you're happy with it, may it give you many hours of enjoyment!

I'm OG or GTFO when it comes to T-birds (Epiphone counts, they're in the same family, and I would say are making better T-birds than Gibson are right now), but this one has not got me twitching like some T-bird-a-likes do.  It seems relatively faithful to the basic shape and dimensions, just hot-rodded a bit.

Not that you need my approval, but I approve.

Also the idea was not to actually have a Thunderbird but to have the shape of it with the custom finish and pickups I wanted. It’s not meant to be a T-bird, it’s just meant to be a bass I love which happens to have the T-bird shape. The whole point of buying a custom build was to get myself something unique.

3 minutes ago, Lord Summerisle said:

Also the idea was not to actually have a Thunderbird but to have the shape of it with the custom finish and pickups I wanted. It’s not meant to be a T-bird, it’s just meant to be a bass I love which happens to have the T-bird shape. The whole point of buying a custom build was to get myself something unique.

You don't need to justify it to me, it's enough to read someone waxing lyrical about their new acquisition to put a smile on my face, regardless of whether or not I'd go for something like it myself.