Why become a member? ×

Downsizing, juxtapositioned with value of big old gear.

NancyJohnson

Never had the 3500, but had HA2000 and HA5500 heads, and I thought that they were good... apart from the fan noise when playing at home and the weight when playing anywhere else. Never mind the 5500, even the 2000 was massively louder and more pleasing than my very short-tenured ABM500 evo3 through the same Ashdown cabs. I keep considering picking up a HA3500 while they're still somewhat available and putting it away for a theoretical future date when I fancy a retro trip, but then I think about my laziness compared to the size and weight, and the fact that they were good amps but not exceptional, and that's where the idea has always stopped thus far. Even so, I remember them fondly and still can't see them as the junk that some people do ...but then a lot of people like ABM500 evo3s! 🙂

3 hours ago, casapete said:

In disgust or in a charitable way? 😆

It was not a bad amp by any means, I just had no more need of it. I exchanged it with a one time friend for an old Peavey Mark III amp which I then shipped at my cost to a young player who needed it.  Thus two players got a better amp than they had. :D

• Like 1

If there's an original 70's V4B there let me know....my lounge needs a nostalgic center piece. However on the subject of tone...I now realise it's futile judging stage tone..If it sounds good at the bar Im  happy. My BA110 thru any modest amateur PA sounds brilliant ..  "on the floor, or at the bar".

12 hours ago, greavesbass said:

If there's an original 70's V4B there let me know....my lounge needs a nostalgic center piece. However on the subject of tone...I now realise it's futile judging stage tone..If it sounds good at the bar Im  happy. My BA110 thru any modest amateur PA sounds brilliant ..  "on the floor, or at the bar".

There’s a V4B in the classifieds here right now. I know the owner and the amp, it’s lush. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

There’s a V4B in the classifieds here right now. I know the owner and the amp, it’s lush. 

Just to clarify, the amp is lush. As much as I love Cam @wayne58, I wouldn’t describe him as lush, he’s not my type, even though we have shared a room on many occasions. 

Rob

I used a house Ampeg cabinet at last Friday's gig.  It weighed a ton.  Granted it sounded lush and capable, but in truth not particularly much different to the pair of 1x12s I run.  All I kept thinking was how I'd actually transport the Ampeg from the car park (three levels down) the 100m to the venue and then up a tight U-shaped stairwell.  And then back again at midnight.

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

Just to clarify, the amp is lush. As much as I love Cam @wayne58, I wouldn’t describe him as lush, he’s not my type, even though we have shared a room on many occasions. 

Rob

Haha..dont worry I wont tell. Anyway cheers for that but Im foolishly looking for a minty one I sold in 82...which of course wont now be minty at all...still who knows, but I just love that 70's logo.. 

I join your conversation from the distant past, a time when Selmer Goliath 1x18 cabinets, Hammond organs and Leslie speakers ruled the Earth. The glorious sound of a Sound City/Selmer/Sola Sound amplifier distorting and farting as the valves colourfully fried, still keeps me awake at night.

Dislocated shoulders and Hammond Organs balanced on knees on staircases were the order of the day. My Epiphone Rivoli was not necessarily heard when played through the aforementioned Sound City/Selmer/Sola Sound amplifier coupled with the incomparable Selmer Goliath, but interacted very well with the audience’s digestive systems. 

These days I play a double bass without amplification and my shoulder hasn’t dislocated for approximately 45 years. 

However, in the meantime, the above prehistoric equipment doesn’t seem to have suffered in terms of financial value and what I found barely affordable all those years ago is now completely unaffordable these days, because it seems to have achieved retro historic status.

If I could afford to recreate my equipment from those distant days, I would do so in an instant. But I would also need to rent storage space and a muscular young man or two to shlepp it all for me.

The muscular man or men would obviously have to have, his or their own, historically appropriate van.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

Haha....cheers (room mate)Rob, we had some good craic, both partial to nice wine, curry and vintage amps!

• Like 1