Why become a member? ×

Neck shim advice needed

lownote

Just bought a Harley Benton B550FL which arrived with its neck apparently cocked up at the bridge end. There’s no shim under the heel currently and I reckon I need a shim in the order of 1/2 millimetre at the machine head end of the heel to drop the bridge saddles to their proper height. What’s the best and easiest material to use for a shim? 

EDIT  Now I'm on my PC I have caught up with previous threads on this subject so mods feel free to delete.

Edited by lownote

Adding a shim won't allow for lower bridge saddles, only higher, also, not sure if it is this you speak about or not, but a shim won't cure a so called ski jump at the upper frets end of the neck either.

Finally 1/2 a millimeter part shim seems overly excessive, you need much less than you might think.

If the neck indeed got a ski jump (again not entirely sure if this is actually what you speak of or not), that is a kink upward angle at the upper frets end of the neck, I would send the bass back for a replacement.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Adding a shim won't allow for lower bridge saddles, only higher, also, not sure if it is this you speak about or not, but a shim won't cure a so called ski jump at the upper frets end of the neck either.

It will, if you put it at the other end to where it would usually go as the OP intends.

IME a single thickness of good quality business card filling no more than one quarter of the neck pocket is usually sufficient. It has a bigger impact on the neck angle than you would think.

• Like 1

Cut up an old plastic rail card.  About .5 mm ish. Done the trick enough to serve, although I doubt I'll be offered a job with Fodera.  I could have sent it back but I'm fed up with returning stuff to Thomann.

Edited by lownote