Why become a member? ×

CIJ 62 RI Jazz custom shop PUPS..WOW just WOW!!!!!!!

bubinga5

Not long ago i swapped my TRB6II for a CIJ 62 RI Jazz with Mr Russ..I played it in a funk outfit im dabbling with tonight and it is simply AWESOME!!!!!.. (for the money i really cant say that my USA 75 RI is that much better)...Its has the sweetest tone when i role off the treble, then when you dig in a little out comes this amazing growl.. Pure funk..I was laughing when i heard this thing through the Aguilar..

I will say it does have custom shop pickups in it so russ told me...how much of difference this makes i dont know???

Then comes the bridge pick up honk..full on Meshell on a Celinder!!! This is my go to bass from now on..Sooooo easy to play! The only thing that i would like is a satin finish to the neck, gloss can get a little sticky for me..Would it be wrong to sand the neck down???

Anyone got a CIJ/MIJ 62 RI..What do you think??

Thanks MR Russ!!!! :)

Yes I have one. Its quite trebbly, lwtait remarked that it sounded almost like a rickenbacker.
I have no idea why its so trebbly and its the only thing I dislike

One thing I did do was put copper shielding tape (off ebay) in all cavities.
Quietened it down nicely.

Edit : mine is completely standard. They sound best imho with bridge on full and neck off full by about 10%

Edited by Geek99

I bought one from Japan last year, S/H, 1999 year.
Completely stock sounded lovely but no tonal variation, so I put some EMG's and a J Retro and it is now an insanely good sounding and playing bass.
I've had the same D'Addario Pro Steels on for nearly a year, yummy!

May try some Hi Beams, or D'Ad nickles I've got in the string store, from when the dollar was poor. :)

I was surprised at how bright they were - they've got a real punch in the mids to them too.
It's a shame they've got that annoying sharpness to the pole piece edges so many j bass pickups have - just a pet peeve of mine ;P

The lakland pickups in my DJ5 are a lot darker in comparison - although I didn't compare the pot/cap values

Edited by mr_russ

[quote name='steve-soar' post='478467' date='May 3 2009, 08:51 PM']P.S., I put a Badass on it too. Great upgrade, as the original bridge saddles slid from side to side. :)[/quote]

Yes, the saddles on the bridge of my MIJ '75 RI Jazz have that tendency too. I'm thinking of upgrading that too.
Don't know about those custom shop '62 pickups, but there are Fender USA pickups in my MIJ too (it comes stock with Fender USA '75 RI pickups) and they're absolutely GREAT. The MIJ '75 RI is not an entirely accurate replication of a '75 Jazz, the bridge pickup is not in the '70's location, but still it mimics that bright and punchy tone very well. Great bass, definitely not my last MIJ Fender! They also produce a very wide range of lefthanded instruments (even a 5-string) whereas Fender USA only offers some standard models, in a very limited colour range (American Standard P and J, in black with a white guard and sunbust with a tortoise guard only, and only with a rosewood board :lol: ). So I've come to like Fender Japan a lot :rolleyes:

[quote name='mr_russ' post='479841' date='May 5 2009, 12:58 PM']I was surprised at how bright they were - they've got a real punch in the mids to them too.
It's a shame they've got that annoying sharpness to the pole piece edges so many j bass pickups have - just a pet peeve of mine ;P

The lakland pickups in my DJ5 are a lot darker in comparison - although I didn't compare the pot/cap values[/quote]
Yeah Russ, i really noticed the lovely punch in the mids on the 62.. a really nice passive tone to them...

A super low flat action on the TRB, glad you like it!!

[quote name='LeftyJ' post='484812' date='May 11 2009, 09:07 AM']Yes, the saddles on the bridge of my MIJ '75 RI Jazz have that tendency too. I'm thinking of upgrading that too.
Don't know about those custom shop '62 pickups, but there are Fender USA pickups in my MIJ too (it comes stock with Fender USA '75 RI pickups) and they're absolutely GREAT. The MIJ '75 RI is not an entirely accurate replication of a '75 Jazz, the bridge pickup is not in the '70's location, but still it mimics that bright and punchy tone very well. Great bass, definitely not my last MIJ Fender! They also produce a very wide range of lefthanded instruments (even a 5-string) whereas Fender USA only offers some standard models, in a very limited colour range (American Standard P and J, in black with a white guard and sunbust with a tortoise guard only, and only with a rosewood board :rolleyes: ). So I've come to like Fender Japan a lot :)[/quote]
Not a 75 bridge pup position on the MIJ? really.. im sure it is on the USA..i could be wrong...I cant see Fender getting that wrong on a reissue..like i said ICBW..

The customshop' are a better pup than the USA's for sure..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='485428' date='May 12 2009, 12:15 AM']Not a 75 bridge pup position on the MIJ? really.. im sure it is on the USA..i could be wrong...I cant see Fender getting that wrong on a reissue..[/quote]

Yep, on the USA they placed the bridge pickup correctly, but on the MIJ it's in the regular '60's position. On the MIM '70's Jazz the bridge pickup is placed correctly too, so it's really just the MIJ that's different... I'm not sure if that goes for the Marcus Miller and the Geddy Lee too though, as they're based on the same bass.

Edited by LeftyJ