Why become a member? ×

Should've done this sooner...

LeftBass2022

Hi all,

I'm Glenn.  I bought a Squier Jazz Bass lefty a bit over three years ago and started learning, as I've always really  tended to pick out the bass lines in songs over melody, so it seemed the natural choice of instrument for me.   I took some online modular courses and self-taught too,  then last year briefly joined a band and made some music-friends,  I still try to play every day and teach myself new songs, anything from Kate Bush to Metallica to Duran Duran to Cyndi Lauper, Police, Dire Straits,  I'll try to learn anything if I like the sound of it!  

Last year I bought a Fender Jazz Player Series and I'm always adding to the list of songs that I can play,  I just love it.  I'll never be a master at it, but it's just the best thing ever.

BTW - I really would like a bass tab for 'Blinded By The Sun' by the Seahorses - the thread on here seemed to fizzle out and I still have lots of gaps in the song to fill - so if anyone can help with that?....😎

:crigon_04:

I think a lot of folk think that they should’ve started sooner, myself included. But then, I’m reminded of something Morgan Freeman said about getting into acting so late in life, he said something along the lines of at least he’d started doing it, the other option was not to have done it at all, which was much worse than being a late starter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

I think a lot of folk think that they should’ve started sooner, myself included. But then, I’m reminded of something Morgan Freeman said about getting into acting so late in life, he said something along the lines of at least he’d started doing it, the other option was not to have done it at all, which was much worse than being a late starter.

I like that.   Anyway, my idea is was to be just good enough to maybe join or even start my own - local band when I retire in ten years from now.   Plenty of time for practise...

• Like 1

Hello Glenn. 

Excellent attitude. I really hope it works out for you and the Gigging Glenn becomes a reality. Try to play with others, even if they are better than you - this need not necessarily be in a gigging environment. You'll pick up examples of when to sit back and when to play harder; when to let the music breathe, etc. The more you become involved, the easier it will be to get that band together - maybe even well-before you retire.

Best

Snorkie

On 13/05/2023 at 13:41, snorkie635 said:

Hello Glenn. 

Excellent attitude. I really hope it works out for you and the Gigging Glenn becomes a reality. Try to play with others, even if they are better than you - this need not necessarily be in a gigging environment. You'll pick up examples of when to sit back and when to play harder; when to let the music breathe, etc. The more you become involved, the easier it will be to get that band together - maybe even well-before you retire.

Best

Snorkie

Thanks Snorkie.   I'm still mates with the drummer and we've got some plans to try out which is exciting,  possibly an opening in a punk band that he's in - plus a few other possibilities, so I'll just keep working at it.

• Thanks 1