Why become a member? ×

Adding Larger Side Dots.

13 hours ago, fleabag said:

I found some glow in the dark dots in my spares box. Must have bought them a while back. They were already shaped as dots so didnt need cutting.

I fired up the UV wand, gave them a 30 second burst.  I waited , and 15 seconds later , they had stopped glowing.  I guess these need some permanent

source of light.  Not that good for me really.

To be fare, they don't last as long as Luminlay but I get way more than that out of the stuff I've used. I think it's a 3M product.

I've got a Luminlay equiped bass and it needs a recharge about half way through a 45 min set.

The ones I punched out need a couple of recharges. I've made 4mm ones, which may make a difference as they are much larger than the average fret markers.

I've had both Luminlay inserts and cheap glow in the dark dots in the past and find them pretty much unusable because of the need to keep charging it up with light. Don't want to spend my entire mid-set break shining a UV torch at my basses.

My latest attempt at visible side dots was handing the bass over to the guy that does my bits and bobs who has lots of equipment and steady hands at his disposal.  He made a template to stick along the side with 3mm holes punched out in the required positions.  Next time he was using white nitro he flashed it along the side of the neck, leaving me with bright white 3mm dots.  So far, so good.  They'll wear off in time, I am sure, but have cured the problem for now.

• Like 1