Why become a member? ×

Dupuytren's Contracture

MKay

A bit grim.....but I was wondering if anyone else has had any surgery for this and how long did it take to get back gigging? I am right handed, (contracture is in my right hand),  and finger pluck........would love to give my band some encouraging news!

I had surgery for this to straighten out the little finger of my left (fretting) hand. It was not a success. After about two months of doing physio exercises, the finger gradually began resorting back to the way it was previously.

The surgeon told me in advance that everyone reacts differently (and has a different result)  to this type of surgery, even if the circumstances for needing it are the same.  Unfortunately my gamble did not pay off.  Hopefully you will fare better. The little finger of the right hand is now bent but it can stay that way. I don't intend going through that ordeal again. Perhaps I left it too long before deciding to do something about it. The earlier you take action, the better the chances of a positive result.

Best of luck....and sorry  for the discouraging post.

I also had this in my fretting hand, third finger bent at right angles with the contraction running down my palm. They straightened my finger and opened up my palm to remove all the nodules. My hand looked like it had been chewed by the dog afterwards. Recovery I'm afraid took months not weeks, it's really quite invasive surgery. I was warned of possible nerve damage and indeed I've been left with only partial feeling in my fingertip. I can play bass again thankfully but I can't manage chords on a guitar.

Sorry to sound so depressing but it depends so much on the individual case. It happened to me late in life when I was giving up regular gigging anyway but I wish you all the best if you're still very active. 

Hi, I suffer with this, along with my brother and several friends. I guess we are all Vikings.

I have had some treatment given by a myofascial release practitioner and I do think it has helped, at least to slow progress.

Her aim is to avoid surgery but possibly not effect a cure.

I hope things work out for you.

rick

• Thanks 1

Always avoid surgery whenever it's possible and consider it the very last resort.

If it's only palm contracture you can try Xiaflex®: https://www.xiaflex.com/

Most of the time, there are softer alternatives, but physicians won't tell it to you, surgery means big money.

Furthermore, it's a genetic disease, better enquire in your family if there are precedents, before going any further.

And here's how your hand could look just after the surgery, if you are lucky...:

aponevrectomie.jpg.f63240a278a11ddcde5bff082789e59e.jpg

I’ve had Dupuytrens for around 10 years now, and it has only slightly worsened over

that time. No known history of it in the family either, and hadn’t heard of it until

mine started. A doctor friend told me that the NHS don’t even consider surgery

until it has reached a point where the hand has lost it’s ability to function , but 

that was a while ago so things may have ( hopefully ) changed.

The actor Bill Nighy is a famous Dupuytrens sufferer. I believe he chose to not 

have remedial surgery, and seems to manage fine with his acting roles. 
Apparently the condition is fairly common with orchestral string players too.

I hope your condition stabilises and you can continue to play. I’m in my mid 60’s,

and play around 150 gigs a year still, so it may not necessarily mean yours will

be unmanageable too. All the best.

• Like 1

Appreciate all your feedback - it does help, believe me. I have an x ray booked and will push for the injection. The upshot to this is that I am rapidly mastering the "Geddy Lee" one finger flamenco style way of playing! 

• Like 1

Having had wrist and finger problems I was interested to read this as I'd never heard of or been advised about this condition. I checked my left palm and sure enough there's a nodule below the ring finger - perhaps because  I've had cortisone injections for osteo-arthritis in the wrist (very effective) that is masking the Dupuytren condition although I do still get the occasional bent-finger-lockup. Thank you for posting, and my good wishes for the best possible outcome.

• Like 2

On 04/05/2023 at 19:32, Gasman said:

Having had wrist and finger problems I was interested to read this as I'd never heard of or been advised about this condition. I checked my left palm and sure enough there's a nodule below the ring finger - perhaps because  I've had cortisone injections for osteo-arthritis in the wrist (very effective) that is masking the Dupuytren condition although I do still get the occasional bent-finger-lockup. Thank you for posting, and my good wishes for the best possible outcome.

Thank You Sir......