Why become a member? ×

Should be NBD, but...

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Yep - that's what I said when I took it back, and they agreed to refund once what I said was confirmed.

I mentioned the sunken truss rod issue also, but only in passing as the wrong date was my reason to decide to return it.

Odd they got that wrong! Yeah being The Gallery I'm sure you'd have been sorted if there was a truss rod problem but indeed the bass should be cheaper given the real date (even if it more than likely makes no practical difference). So are you on the hunt for another? I'll keep my eyes open for you.

After spending some time with a real vintage bass I think I prefer basses that have the look of an old one but with modern manufacturing. After being able to do a side by side comparison I have arrived at the conclusion that my black & blue JMJ twins sound and feel at least as good as the '76, and my sunburst vintera mustang is not far behing those.

I have just arrived home from an outing where I picked up a competition orange classic vibe mustang via Reverb for around 9% of the cost of the vintage one. The previous owner has upgraded it with the pickup & bridge from a vintera mustang. I'm sure once I've given it a full service including polishing the frets, rolling the fingerboard edges and setting it up with a set of Chomes it'll satisfy my GAS for a while.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

After spending some time with a real vintage bass I think I prefer basses that have the look of an old one but with modern manufacturing. After being able to do a side by side comparison I have arrived at the conclusion that my black & blue JMJ twins sound and feel at least as good as the '76, and my sunburst vintera mustang is not far behing those.

I have just arrived home from an outing where I picked up a competition orange classic vibe mustang via Reverb for around 9% of the cost of the vintage one. The previous owner has upgraded it with the pickup & bridge from a vintera mustang. I'm sure once I've given it a full service including polishing the frets, rolling the fingerboard edges and setting it up with a set of Chomes it'll satisfy my GAS for a while.

Genuinely old instruments aren't necessarily "better" certainly, a lot of it is hype to massively inflate the prices these things seem to go for. 

Back in the day I've had a few Fenders that were really duff and sounded crap, a couple of P basses and a Jazz spring to mind, these were "pukka vintage" by today's standards and would doubtless cost a packet. 

Now the low spec Squier PJ I got recently plays and sounds way better than any of that lot did, and if I had to choose between them purely as a playing instrument, I'd stick with the Squier. 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/05/2023 at 20:03, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

The stock pictures make it look like the body edges are less rounded than the Classic Vibe series, or any other mustang for that matter. Is that true?

I don't know about the standard classic vibe mustang basses, but the body edges of my competition orange one certainly have a noticably smaller radius than my various Fender mustangs.

I've done all the little jobs that it needed and now that it has flatwounds its a pretty decent mustang. I couldnt get the action quite as low as I'd like so I'll probably take it to Camden sometime to get the frets levelled.

I'll probably take it to tomorrow's gig as the 'just in case' bass as backup whichever of the JMJs I take.

That's just a butchered pickguard instead of being cut out nicely to give better access. Why do that on a quality instrument?

My guess is an impact driver bit would have fit in there then with a small spanner to turn it.

Happy to find out if I'm wrong having not seen it first hand.