Why become a member? ×

GASsed but skint

Rayman

We truly live in the golden age of luthiery. A CNC machine is the same in premium production facilities and in my shed. Pickup are wires and magnets - nothing else. Plenty of UK winders who will do what is needed if you want an upgrade without using the usual supects to deliver THE TOOOOOOOOOOOOONE. A decent set up will render 99.9% of instruments available today totally ready to gig. I am as guilty as anyone on here (and guiltier than most) about obsessing about top end kit - but last weekend's Bassbash let me learn (yet again) that what is out there is lovely, but not necessarily any better than what I own and will certainly not make me a better player or get me better gigs. A case in point is my son's experience last weekend. He was working sound for a name band to rehearse before they left for the US this coming Friday. The bassist rolled in with a Squier P bass he bought for £35. At a guess it had been set up well. He played and it made a bass noise.

Edited by Owen
because of the spelling. Always the spelling.
  • Like 2

Mentioned on here before but a few years ago (before Mrs Lemmywinks and Lemmywinks Jnr when all of my wages belonged to me!) I had a search set up on eBay for <£70 + Newly Listed + BIN bass guitars. Had a constant rotation of backup basses through the doors and all were crazy bargains, used to have it loaded up on my work laptop and would refresh every so often in to get those deals that get snapped up within the first minute or so.

Great way to satisfy GAS and I'd always pass them on for what I'd paid or a little bit more.

I have a ESP LTD I picked up for $200 US. (I made the store owner throw in a set of strings) It was a STUDENT BASS in the high school. Binged up banged up, neck true, active EMGs.

I bought a Hartke bass PJ with paint chipping away with your fingernail, NO STRAP BUTTONS, a tag "$30, as-is". Both pu's worked when I tried it, when I got it home the P shorted out.  Neck was dead-straight, pulled the frets out, had me a frettless. (all Jaco, all-the-time). Still haven't gotten around to putting something into the P-hole. Might cut it out a bit a shove 3 Strat pu's in side-ways. Paid $15 for them.

Too bad his shop just closed, township wanted to double his rent.

Oh, and a Morley Wah for $30.