Why become a member? ×

Orange OBC410 Problem

offmybass

I'm having a bit of an issue with my Orange OBC410, just wondering if anyone else has had similar or knows what could be causing it?

There is a sound coming out of it however it's barely audible, to the point where I can only hear it with my head right up to the cab.

I was thinking blown speaker as I was running a bit of a weird rig at the time (Terror Bass +Overdrives in to OBC115, Ashdown RM800+chorus, phase, etc in to OBC410), I guess I could have pushed the Ashdown a bit hard in to the cab to keep up in volume with the Terror, but am I right in thinking a blown speaker would sound distorted and it's unlikely that all 4 would blow at the same time? Also there wasn't any massive pop or bang, it just suddenly dropped out.

I've tried the cab with another head, different cables, etc so I think I've ruled those out too.

15 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Do the 9V battery test on the speaker cabinet. Applying the battery terminal across the cable jack should produce a loud pop from the cabinet. No pop blown drivers.

Not necessarily. I would be very surprised if all 4 drivers have blown but to use the battery trick, you really need to take each driver out and test. There is a crossover of sorts in the cab which could have gone. This would then effect all 4 speakers in the way the OP has described.

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

you really need to take each driver out and test. There is a crossover of sorts in the cab which could have gone. This would then effect all 4 speakers in the way the OP has described.

Not necessarily. First, you're not looking to hear a pop or click, although you might. You're looking to see the cone(s) move. Even a 1.5v battery will do that. If they don't something isn't right. If they don't move then you pull them to test them individually. A crossover won't affect the result for woofers, as low pass filters allow the DC of a battery to pass. High pass filters on tweeters block DC, but you wouldn't see a tweeter diaphragm move anyway.

• Like 1

If all the cones were working and you put 9v to it you better be wearing two pair of underpants.

As it sits I don't think you will be hearing much of anything but be prepared for a fright just in case.

If you blew 2 those would jump opposite direction to the working ones then settle back to neutral.

Might be a bit if a red herring but I did a Google search on this problem and found a discussion on the Orange site regarding fuses in these cabs. If you face the front of the cab, then remove the right hand handle there are apparently two fuses inside the cab, one is related to the horn, I'm guessing there may be general protection for the tens as well??? Unfortunately I don't have one of these cabs so cannot check for you - and to make it slightly more difficult I found no other reference or wiring diagram.... Could be nothing but worth a look maybe? Would explain the sequence of events and why all four speakers now suddenly don't work.

Darren.