Why become a member? ×

Dennis Dunaway (Alice) Transcriptions

AM1

Aloha

For some time I have been trying to find books of Dennis Dunaway's early bass playing with Alice Cooper but I can't find anything. Some of it I can play by ear, but not all.

It would be great to find some sheet music of the Dennis Dunaway era - an under-rated player! I love that melodic lead bass style, sadly it's a dying art....

[quote name='AM1' post='475478' date='Apr 29 2009, 09:05 PM']Aloha

For some time I have been trying to find books of Dennis Dunaway's early bass playing with Alice Cooper but I can't find anything. Some of it I can play by ear, but not all.

It would be great to find some sheet music of the Dennis Dunaway era - an under-rated player! I love that melodic lead bass style, sadly it's a dying art....[/quote]
Absolutely totally agree with you about Dunaway, AM; he is as you say an under-rated bassist!

Also agree with you that that sort of melodic lead playing is a bit of a dying art.. He contributed so much to Alice Cooper I think; song-wise, playing wise and arrangement wise... Fantastic!

Got to say I've never seen any books either. He does have a website so you might be able to email him and ask him?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='475551' date='Apr 29 2009, 10:28 PM']Absolutely totally agree with you about Dunaway, AM; he is as you say an under-rated bassist!

Also agree with you that that sort of melodic lead playing is a bit of a dying art.. He contributed so much to Alice Cooper I think; song-wise, playing wise and arrangement wise... Fantastic!

Got to say I've never seen any books either. He does have a website so you might be able to email him and ask him?

Nik[/quote]

Hey Nik, long time no speak!

I didn't know you were a fellow Dunaway afficionado!

I emailed him a while ago but it was to ask stuff about his project band, have you heard any of that stuff?

Anyway, Prakash is also a good melodic bass player. I was going to paste a link to a great bass cover of MarloweDK playing Cold Ethyl but those fascists at YouTube have removed it. That bassline is delicious!

Anyway, yes, I have just wasted the entire evening on Dunaway basslines instead of doing my proper homework which was bass exercises and theory. If there was any tribute band I would consider joining, it would be an AC band, in fact that would be cool!

[quote name='AM1' post='475625' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:59 PM']Hey Nik, long time no speak!

I didn't know you were a fellow Dunaway afficionado!

I emailed him a while ago but it was to ask stuff about his project band, have you heard any of that stuff?

Anyway, Prakash is also a good melodic bass player. I was going to paste a link to a great bass cover of MarloweDK playing Cold Ethyl but those fascists at YouTube have removed it. That bassline is delicious!

Anyway, yes, I have just wasted the entire evening on Dunaway basslines instead of doing my proper homework which was bass exercises and theory. If there was any tribute band I would consider joining, it would be an AC band, in fact that would be cool![/quote]
Hi AM

Yes; I've been an Alice Cooper fan since I was 11 years old and went to see him at Wembley on the Welcome to my Nighmare tour in 1975 (I think) with Prakash on bass. That was brilliant but I always wish that I'd seen the original line-up with DD on bass..

Along with Trevor Bolder, Bowie's bassist, DD was my first real influence and it was completely because his lines were either so melodic that they made the song great or, as was often the case, his basslines formed the core of the song! I think his work on the school's Out album is outstanding...

Look forward to seeing you play when you're in that AC tribute band! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='475720' date='Apr 30 2009, 08:50 AM']Hi AM

Yes; I've been an Alice Cooper fan since I was 11 years old and went to see him at Wembley on the Welcome to my Nighmare tour in 1975 (I think) with Prakash on bass. That was brilliant but I always wish that I'd seen the original line-up with DD on bass..

Along with Trevor Bolder, Bowie's bassist, DD was my first real influence and it was completely because his lines were either so melodic that they made the song great or, as was often the case, his basslines formed the core of the song! I think his work on the school's Out album is outstanding...

Look forward to seeing you play when you're in that AC tribute band! :)[/quote]

Hey Nik - bet that was an amazing gig! I'm a more recent convert, I wasn't alive in 1975 :rolleyes:

You're right, very often, the basslines form the song, I wish more bands still used this style, lead bass ROCKS!

You have PM!

[quote name='AM1' post='476010' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:12 PM']Hey Nik - bet that was an amazing gig! I'm a more recent convert, I wasn't alive in 1975 :)

You're right, very often, the basslines form the song, I wish more bands still used this style, lead bass ROCKS!

You have PM![/quote]
It was bloody brilliant!!

He's an amazing character Alice Cooper; from being the 'devil incarnate' and Public Enemy No.1 back in the day, he's now a born-again Christian, golf-playing, all round good Citizen who's opened up music academies to help the disaffected youth of America!! Who'd have thought that would ever happen...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='476436' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:15 PM']It was bloody brilliant!!

He's an amazing character Alice Cooper; from being the 'devil incarnate' and Public Enemy No.1 back in the day, he's now a born-again Christian, golf-playing, all round good Citizen who's opened up music academies to help the disaffected youth of America!! Who'd have thought that would ever happen...[/quote]

He IS an amazing character - and much of the music is vastly under-rated. It's just such a shame that the tracks that became known in the mainstream were the commercial ones and not the great rock and roll grooves! Like Cold Ethyl.....that bassline just f*cking GROOVES!!!

Dennis Dunaway has absolutely fantastic phrasing. I only started listening to him closely a few years ago, in fact it was those basslines that really sparked my interest in the bass! He changed the way I listen to music....such an under-rated bass player!

Wish I could find transcriptions!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love playing by ear but some of that rhythmic stuff would be really interesting to see written down.

[quote name='AM1' post='476620' date='May 1 2009, 03:08 AM']He IS an amazing character - and much of the music is vastly under-rated. It's just such a shame that the tracks that became known in the mainstream were the commercial ones and not the great rock and roll grooves! Like Cold Ethyl.....that bassline just f*cking GROOVES!!!

Dennis Dunaway has absolutely fantastic phrasing. I only started listening to him closely a few years ago, in fact it was those basslines that really sparked my interest in the bass! He changed the way I listen to music....such an under-rated bass player!

Wish I could find transcriptions!!!! Don't get me wrong, I love playing by ear but some of that rhythmic stuff would be really interesting to see written down.[/quote]
Good luck with the search AM.. and if that AC Tribute band comes together!

Sorry I can't help with the transcriptions AM1 - just another massive Dunaway fan. He was one of my biggest influences when starting to play - I practically learned by playing along to Halo Of Flies & Gutter Cat Vs The Jets!

I do agree Dennis is a tragically under-recognised player, and it's a shame that history has sidelined him (and the other original Alice Cooper members) as just some of Alice-The-Singer's many backing musicians. On that topic, it's worth reading guitarist Michael Bruce's book No More Mr Nice Guy, if you can find a copy.

Something worth remembering about Dunaway's playing is that he is a 100% plectrum user, and I'd say this is responsible for much of his tone and style. Pick playing's becoming something of a dying art among conbtemporary bassists (barely touch it myself, to be honest) but Dunaway's a masterclass in precision, speed & versatility with a lump of plastic!

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='477378' date='May 1 2009, 10:29 PM']Sorry I can't help with the transcriptions AM1 - just another massive Dunaway fan. He was one of my biggest influences when starting to play - I practically learned by playing along to Halo Of Flies & Gutter Cat Vs The Jets!

I do agree Dennis is a tragically under-recognised player, and it's a shame that history has sidelined him (and the other original Alice Cooper members) as just some of Alice-The-Singer's many backing musicians. On that topic, it's worth reading guitarist Michael Bruce's book No More Mr Nice Guy, if you can find a copy.

Something worth remembering about Dunaway's playing is that he is a 100% plectrum user, and I'd say this is responsible for much of his tone and style. Pick playing's becoming something of a dying art among conbtemporary bassists (barely touch it myself, to be honest) but Dunaway's a masterclass in precision, speed & versatility with a lump of plastic!

Jon.[/quote]

Hi Jon

Great to see another Dunaway fan!!

I absolutely love Halo of Flies and Gutter Cats...!!!

You made a good point about the pick playing, I was looking at some footage of Dunaway playing yesterday and he really is a master of the pick. It's definitely a dying art on the bass, other than 3 chord punk players who don't tend to have anywhere near the same technical ability as Dunaway. That's something I'd really have to work on, like you, I barely touch it, when I do, I find it hard to damp the strings.

I messaged Dunaway yesterday and asked if he knew of any accurate transcriptions and he actually replied saying he would find out then sent me lots of great bass tips - you can't say fairer than that - I've found that there's so few of the old brigade that are willing to put any time into helping younger aspiring players. It would be such a pity to see that melodic style disappearing completely.

I don't suppose you've got a copy of that book lying around?!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='477378' date='May 1 2009, 10:29 PM']Something worth remembering about Dunaway's playing is that he is a 100% plectrum user, and I'd say this is responsible for much of his tone and style. Pick playing's becoming something of a dying art among conbtemporary bassists (barely touch it myself, to be honest) but Dunaway's a masterclass in precision, speed & versatility with a lump of plastic!

Jon.[/quote]
+1

Couldn't agree more Jon. I really like using a pick for certain songs and always have and it is great to have it as an alternative style to be used as appropriate..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='477429' date='May 2 2009, 12:13 AM']+1

Couldn't agree more Jon. I really like using a pick for certain songs and always have and it is great to have it as an alternative style to be used as appropriate..[/quote]

Hi again Nik, what's the best kind of pick to use for the bass?

[quote name='AM1' post='477443' date='May 2 2009, 12:39 AM']Hi again Nik, what's the best kind of pick to use for the bass?[/quote]
Depends on personal preference. My choice is a Dunlop, either .73 or .88 size... anything heavier than that and I find it slows me down.. best thing would be to buy half a dozen different ones and see what you prefer after using them all for a while...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='477455' date='May 2 2009, 01:17 AM']Depends on personal preference. My choice is a Dunlop, either .73 or .88 size... anything heavier than that and I find it slows me down.. best thing would be to buy half a dozen different ones and see what you prefer after using them all for a while...[/quote]

Hi yeah I've got a bunch of different ones of varying thicknesses, just interested :-)

I have seen some small ones, much smaller than normal guitar or bass picks but don't know what kind they were.

Just listening to Halo of Flies again, the interplay between drums and bass is truly excellent. Hey Nik, what's your fave Alice song? A tough choice!

[quote name='AM1' post='477460' date='May 2 2009, 01:22 AM']Hi yeah I've got a bunch of different ones of varying thicknesses, just interested :-)

I have seen some small ones, much smaller than normal guitar or bass picks but don't know what kind they were.

Just listening to Halo of Flies again, the interplay between drums and bass is truly excellent. Hey Nik, what's your fave Alice song? A tough choice![/quote]
That is a dificult choice!

Possibly 'Generation Landslide' from 'Billion Dollar Babies'.. Also, 'Be My Lover' from 'Killer' and I love 'Halo of Flies'.. Thankfully, I don't need to make a decision! What about you?

I've got a Fender 3mm (!) which was rejected by my guitar-playing son which works for me - we have a couple of numbers in the set (Town Called Malice, Lithium etc) which really benefit from the sound. It's probably slightly too think to be ideal but I'm too lazy to go shopping.

Colin Hodgkinson uses a pick, and also has a pick-like technique using the nail of his first finger (with the thumb pressed hard up against it). OK if you've got fingernails.

Another big Dunaway fan here. I've been a life long fan of Alice due to him being my Dad's favourite Artist. I always used to get a programme brought home for me when he went to see him and I was too young to go. When I eventually got to go, it was like achieving a life long dream.

I remember, when I started playing bass, learning the whole of killer and school's out. Definitely an under-rated player and some of the basslines on the Alice Cooper Band albums are brilliant.

Often wondered why I'd never seen an Alice tribute and always wanted to start one if I found some musicians who loved his/their music as much as I do.

Doubt I could pick a favourite song, but I do think Welcome to My Nightmare is one of the best albums ever written and all the AC Band albums are classic rock albums. I still regularly listen to all of them.

:)

[quote name='AM1' post='477427' date='May 2 2009, 12:09 AM']I don't suppose you've got a copy of that book lying around?![/quote]
I bought a copy as a birthday present for a mate who was a big Alice fan, about 10 years ago & had a sneaky read before wrapping it up! However just checked EvilBay & there's a copy up at the moment:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALICE-COOPER-book-by-MICHAEL-BRUCE-No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy_W0QQitemZ120414553943"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALICE-COOPER-book-by...emZ120414553943[/url]

Although the same search also brought up this rather daunting one in the US:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy-ALICE-COOPER-book-by-Michael-Bruce_W0QQitemZ380067710111"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy-...emZ380067710111[/url]

It's an interesting read but apparently a lot of Bruce's recollections should be taken with a pinch of salt - at the time he plainly had a substantial chip on his shoulder about what happened with the original band. It seems that Alice & the surviving members (lead guitarist Glen Buxton died in 1997) are now all on good terms & have occasionally got back together for low-key one-offs, and the possibility of a "proper" reunion has been mooted. I'd go & see that. :)

J.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='477504' date='May 2 2009, 07:52 AM']That is a dificult choice!

Possibly 'Generation Landslide' from 'Billion Dollar Babies'.. Also, 'Be My Lover' from 'Killer' and I love 'Halo of Flies'.. Thankfully, I don't need to make a decision! What about you?[/quote]

Hi again Nik!

I think probably No More Mr. Nice Guy, Dead Babies or Caught In A Dream, another great grooving bassline!

[quote name='pete.young' post='477511' date='May 2 2009, 08:11 AM']I've got a Fender 3mm (!) which was rejected by my guitar-playing son which works for me - we have a couple of numbers in the set (Town Called Malice, Lithium etc) which really benefit from the sound. It's probably slightly too think to be ideal but I'm too lazy to go shopping.

Colin Hodgkinson uses a pick, and also has a pick-like technique using the nail of his first finger (with the thumb pressed hard up against it). OK if you've got fingernails.[/quote]

Hi yes I use my nails as well! It's free...haha.

[quote name='truegeminis' post='477522' date='May 2 2009, 08:44 AM']Another big Dunaway fan here. I've been a life long fan of Alice due to him being my Dad's favourite Artist. I always used to get a programme brought home for me when he went to see him and I was too young to go. When I eventually got to go, it was like achieving a life long dream.

I remember, when I started playing bass, learning the whole of killer and school's out. Definitely an under-rated player and some of the basslines on the Alice Cooper Band albums are brilliant.

Often wondered why I'd never seen an Alice tribute and always wanted to start one if I found some musicians who loved his/their music as much as I do.

Doubt I could pick a favourite song, but I do think Welcome to My Nightmare is one of the best albums ever written and all the AC Band albums are classic rock albums. I still regularly listen to all of them.

:)[/quote]

It's great to see so many Dunaway fans here!

As you say, classic rock albums! What continuously amazes me is how much Alice has evolved so much and experimented with so many different sub-genres, which is why he is still selling albums now. But to me, it's the basslines and the overall musical phrasing that really stands out!

Edited by AM1

[quote name='Bassassin' post='478412' date='May 3 2009, 06:41 PM']I bought a copy as a birthday present for a mate who was a big Alice fan, about 10 years ago & had a sneaky read before wrapping it up! However just checked EvilBay & there's a copy up at the moment:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALICE-COOPER-book-by-MICHAEL-BRUCE-No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy_W0QQitemZ120414553943"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALICE-COOPER-book-by...emZ120414553943[/url]

Although the same search also brought up this rather daunting one in the US:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy-ALICE-COOPER-book-by-Michael-Bruce_W0QQitemZ380067710111"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/No-More-Mr-Nice-Guy-...emZ380067710111[/url]

It's an interesting read but apparently a lot of Bruce's recollections should be taken with a pinch of salt - at the time he plainly had a substantial chip on his shoulder about what happened with the original band. It seems that Alice & the surviving members (lead guitarist Glen Buxton died in 1997) are now all on good terms & have occasionally got back together for low-key one-offs, and the possibility of a "proper" reunion has been mooted. I'd go & see that. :)

J.[/quote]

Thanks for the links!

I thought Neil Smith and Dunaway together were a brilliant rhythm section. Books look interesting, cheers!

[quote name='AM1' post='479404' date='May 4 2009, 09:21 PM']Hi again Nik!

I think probably No More Mr. Nice Guy, Dead Babies or Caught In A Dream, another great grooving bassline![/quote]
All great choices! There's a lot of good stuff to choose from...