Why become a member? ×

NBD - Finally in love with a J

Paolo85

I am a proud owner of a Squier VM Jazz! I bought this Tuesday really but I never celebrate until I know I will keep a bass (so, setup to my liking, new strings if needed...).

I remember when I was 18, playing my Cort, I dreamed of buying a Fender Jazz bass. I did not have the money then, and after chatting to people who had no clue (this is how information gathering worked at the time) I got convinced that Squiers were no good.

Within a year, I gave up playing because of a strong, recurring tendinitis. No Fender J for me..

After picking up bass again a year and a half ago, I soon decided it was time to buy a J. Now quite aware that the internet could be used for things other than downloading music and other stuff, I decided to buy a Sire V5. But it didn't work out.

The bass was heavy, the fretwork was poor. And it sounded too harsh to me (although I'd be curious to revisit that opinion now). I sold the Sire V5, bought a Sire V7fl. Great bass to be honest except for QC issues so it had to go back to Thomann. Plus it was heavy. As I was planning to mostly play passive, and I cannot play fretless anyway, it felt a bit like overshooting, so I got a HB JB75fl instead. Great bass - for the money - but both stupidly heavy and a neck diver. I sold that as well after a while, and realized that I was not that excited about J basses anymore. Until now.

I bought this Squier in the classfields without big expectations. I was curious to try again, and I could re-sell it with minimal to no loss.

But I am not going to sell this! Great fretwork, lightweight. A bit neck heavy as often the case for light Js/Ps, but when a bass is good I don't mind investing in lighter tuners.

I love this Duncan Designed the pickups. I would not be surprised if they were ceramic, they are quite aggressive, but not in a way that does ny head in.

I understand the pickup positioning is 60s, but in another forum there were two people talking of an Audere report stating that the pickup response per se was extremely similar to a '74 Jazz. For what I gather from youtube videos, this makes a lot of sense to me.

Squier gets a lot of criticism for supposedly not being on par with other new brands. I had big QC issues with Affinity Ps. But in the end my experience is that a good Squier is a great bass!

20230414_134242.jpg

• Like 6

I own two Squier Jazz basses, one very good, one even better...a Contemporary Active Jazz and a Crafted In China Classic Vibe.

I bought both of them because they look better than most of the similar Fender Jazz basses. I had a CIC CV years ago, so I was well aware they're better than the Fender MIM Standard/Player Jazz basses, but I had no idea how much I'd like the CA Jazz, not being a fan of active Fenders. Turned out to be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe the active electronics simply work best with my GHS black tapewounds.

Other than that, Squier is definitely getting the attention they deserve. Are they all good, no, but the same can be said for many basses.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

😎Great choice of guitar. I've two first generation VMJs in Maple/Maple/blocks n bound, but owned three, stupidly selling my first on here as it happens years ago. 

Those first generation VMJs with DD pups are fantastic, super racy necks too. 👌

Edited by iconic
  • Like 1

It goes for most budget basses really nowadays though.

Somewhat random, or rather lacking, quality control, but if you are lucky to get hold on one the luckier ones out of a budget production they are actually surprisingly great instruments, or at very least can be made so with a few relatively easy and cheap upgrades.

In any case congratulations. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1