Why become a member? ×

Markbass 102 58R Energy vs Pure

LiturghianPope

Hello everyone,

A while ago I was asking for suggestions on a cab for a Markbass LMT 800 - some of you may remember the topic, thanks for everyone sharing their opinions there.

I have recently decided to go for a Markbass 102 58R cab. There are little to no reviews on these, apart from the specifications on the Markbass website.

I'm looking forward to some opinions specifically on these models - has anyone tried them? Is there a significant difference between the Traveler and these? Which of these would you chose for metal / prog metal? I'm inclined to believe their names were given to help buyers, and therefore I can only assume that the Energy model might be slightly more suitable.

How about the XL versions? I need the smallest size possible, so I wouldn't go for the XL versions, but I wonder if the tone difference is significant and if the compromise is worth it.

I'm going to use it for rehearsals and live monitoring - I assume the volume will suffice (while we play loud, we only have one guitar in the band, so I think a single cab should do the trick). I don't know, maybe I'll even mic it up at gigs to see if there's a significant improvement compared to going line-out (as I do now) in the mixer.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

The new Mark Bass line is only just starting to hit shops here. I saw a new 1x12 in Promenade Music this week, but I think that’s the only one they have yet, despite being quite a big Mark Bass dealership. I honestly don’t expect them to sound much different to the earlier stuff, in fact, if they do, then that’s a big risk for them to take, as lots of people like “that” sound. 

Used Mark Bass stuff is reasonably priced, and holds its value, especially the cabs. So maybe pick up a used cab, which is still very lightweight and toneful, and you could move it on for no loss if you don’t like it.

I am aware that people have had difficulties repairing the amps, to the point where if they they fail, then you’ll probably be just better buying another amp. I have a Little Mark III, I bought it cheap secondhand, and I would always carry a backup if I was using it. If it fails, I won’t be trying to repair it.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yeah, I can tell these cabs are yet to be widely tested, since there aren't too many reviews and opinions on them. 

Now I don't change gear that often tbh, quite the contrary. So I don't really want to get a used cab, because - honestly - if I don't instantly like it, I'll just return it. I just want to enjoy the sound from the first moment I plug it in. But more than that, I want the gear to help the whole sound of the band, rather than just satisfy my tastes. I've had some gear which I thought 'it will take some time until I get used to it' but that never happened. So I want to take full advantage of the return options large stores like Thomann offer.

Now I've only played on a 103 Markbass a long time ago (combo, don't know which model), and if what you said is true - that they probably don't deviate much from their sound with the new models - then, what can I say, I'll most likely be happy with it, because that sound stuck with me enough in order for me to get a MB LMT800 years later. Regarding defects, well  I just hope that won't happen anytime soon.

You make it sound like 'cab shaming' is a real thing :D. No worries, I have no desire in impressing others with the size of my gear and anyways, I doubt I'll show it to anyone. Unless they want to come to our private rehearsal room, but then their (auricular) orifices might hurt, and I ceartinly don't want to force anyone to go through such pains.

Slightly besides the point, but yeah, we're not trying to build a rig that turns a palm muted D to a cosmic rupture that spits out the very bowels of existence, separating spirit from body - even though that would be nice, we're just slowly getting better gear.

I have seen many 210 + 115 combinations, and it's definitely not out of the question that I may end up with a similar gear. But getting them one-by-one.

Even if I get a bigger cab for rehearsals... I wouldn't be able to carry it at gigs, therefore I'm not very interested in investing in gear that only me and my bandmates would hear. Maybe that will change if we get a van or travel with two cars. But for now, lightweight is key.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...