Why become a member? ×

Squier Sonic Bronco

Vin Venal

This actually looks like a bit of fun! Considering getting one as a backup.

Dagan isn't really a bassist and tends to make basses he demos sound awful, but I actually think this sounds great, considering it's the cheapest Squier you can get.

Curious to see more reviews/demos. Esp interested in how they're finished and set up, and how bad the neck dive is.

Anyone getting one?

At least it looks easier to modify than previous iterations. I suspect the pickup is the same strat under a solid cover but with better machine heads and individually adjustable bridge saddles, it is already a great improvement.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Late to the party I know. 

Bought one a few weeks ago. The pickup is utterly pants, as it's a cheapo six pole guitar pickup. 

Tuners and bridge are fine, although the bridge saddles can skate around on the baseplate. Be sure to give them a nudge if your strings feel off-centre.

I did some fettling on mine... Warman Twin Loco pickups, vvt controls, side mount jack, stripped and oiled the neck. Oh, and I disintegrated the nut with a polishing mop. 🙄... Jazz nut from Tusq fits but it needed a little shim to bring it up to height. It's now my number 1 bass! 😎

PXL_20231027_091813236.jpg

PXL_20231027_091724252.jpg

PXL_20231027_091715404.jpg

PXL_20231027_091708089.jpg

• Like 8

It looks like a Fender high mass bridge would pop on there without any modifications and sort the issue with the saddles. It might also help the tone a bit, although the jury is still out on that one I think. Sustain and durability would be better anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2023 at 11:56, nosnowking said:

Late to the party I know. 

Bought one a few weeks ago. The pickup is utterly pants, as it's a cheapo six pole guitar pickup. 

Tuners and bridge are fine, although the bridge saddles can skate around on the baseplate. Be sure to give them a nudge if your strings feel off-centre.

I did some fettling on mine... Warman Twin Loco pickups, vvt controls, side mount jack, stripped and oiled the neck. Oh, and I disintegrated the nut with a polishing mop. 🙄... Jazz nut from Tusq fits but it needed a little shim to bring it up to height. It's now my number 1 bass! 😎

PXL_20231027_091813236.jpg

PXL_20231027_091724252.jpg

PXL_20231027_091715404.jpg

PXL_20231027_091708089.jpg

The neck looks really good- how did you achieve this, may I ask?

3 hours ago, Ross Finnie said:

Does the new bass share measurements with "regular" fender bridges? I used to have one of the old affinity series broncos a few years back, but one of the big hurdles to upgrading was that it used a slightly narrower string spacing (I seem to think 17mm instead of 19mm, but I might be wrong).

I did a quick measure up with calipers and yes, a standard fender 5 screw bridge will fit. It's normal spacing, not narrow. I was thinking, as mentioned before, of putting a high mass bridge on there. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sambrook said:

The neck looks really good- how did you achieve this, may I ask?

Masked off the headstock just with masking tape. Took a Stanley blade and meticulously shaved the lacquer off the neck and fingerboard. It's pretty thin on the Bronco so it didn't take too long. Just hold the blade at 90 degrees to the wood and shave away. 

After that, just freehand sanded the fingerboard edges to roll them. Lost a bit of fretting area and the G string is a little close to the edge, but it feels lovely. Also took the opportunity to round off the neck heel.

Sanded from 80 grit up to 1200, then three thin coats of danish oil. The oil I had was "Jacobean Oak" and picked up the grain really nicely with a worn-in look. 

All in it took probably four or five hours, but that was spread over a week. Very relaxing! 😎🤣

• Like 2