Why become a member? ×

My solo bass youtube videos

Captain Bass

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='475006' date='Apr 29 2009, 01:04 PM']p.s. does anyone know how to embed the youtube videos so they play of the page? I copied and pasted the embedded code from youtube but it only displays the code?[/quote]

Like this :) :

Nice stuff man - I mean it's 'solo bass' rather than "doing what a proper bassist should be doing..." :rolleyes: - but your playing is tight and the ideas are well conceived and executed - good sound as well which helps too. Are you tuned E - C by the way? Just noticed it's a 5 string and you're slapping a lot on the bottom string... sounds good.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='475118' date='Apr 29 2009, 02:31 PM']Like this :) :

Nice stuff man - I mean it's 'solo bass' rather than "doing what a proper bassist should be doing..." :rolleyes: - but your playing is tight and the ideas are well conceived and executed - good sound as well which helps too. Are you tuned E - C by the way? Just noticed it's a 5 string and you're slapping a lot on the bottom string... sounds good.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Thanks Mike! I know what you mean about the 'solo bass' comment, thats why in my band 'new device' I only ever play what is needed within each song.

I am indeed tuned E - C,
I have never really got on with low B, although now I wanna get a six string so I can learn some Alain Caron -

Woo! I can do it now :D

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='475219' date='Apr 29 2009, 04:25 PM']...so I can learn some Alain Caron -

Woo! I can do it now :)[/quote]

Funny you should mention him - after seeing him at the Musik Messe in Frankfurt I've been working on his slap style - it's just awesome and while it's not as fast as some it's incredibly accurate... I love it!

M

I enjoyed both of those BUT please use some kind of rhythmic accompaniment. When you're playing flashy compositions like these, a basic rhythmic accompaniment can give some context to some of the more complex syncopations and it can also keep you in time! You didn't waver a lot but just enough to distract me a little.

[quote name='The Funk' post='476483' date='Apr 30 2009, 10:58 PM']I enjoyed both of those BUT please use some kind of rhythmic accompaniment. When you're playing flashy compositions like these, a basic rhythmic accompaniment can give some context to some of the more complex syncopations and it can also keep you in time! You didn't waver a lot but just enough to distract me a little.[/quote]
I have drums on the MP3 version attached to this topic, and im perfectly in time with a metronome on both of those videos, i play to a metronome everytime I play bass , I know exactly when i am slightly behind or in front of the beat, I dont go out of time in these videos.

[quote name='The Funk' post='476497' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:18 PM']Then it must be the lack of context for me on the more complex syncopations and phrasing.

Not having a dig. Just trying to help.[/quote]
Ah you've lost me man, maybe you should put up your own video and show us all what you mean?

[quote name='urb' post='475273' date='Apr 29 2009, 05:07 PM']Funny you should mention him - after seeing him at the Musik Messe in Frankfurt I've been working on his slap style - it's just awesome and while it's not as fast as some it's incredibly accurate... I love it!

M[/quote]
I particularly love Alain Caron for his composition, especially in that song 'Slam The Clown', do you know where you can get any acurate tab/sheet music for that song?

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='476778' date='May 1 2009, 10:30 AM']Ah you've lost me man, maybe you should put up your own video and show us all what you mean?[/quote]

Clearly you've taken offence at what I've said and you now see us as being in some kind of competition.

When you play phrases across the barline, as you do, and which I love, and play syncopated phrases which don't have a note on the 1 or 2 or 4, then it can be easy as a listener to lose a sense of where you are. That's what I meant about context and without a simple 1,2,3,4 happening underneath some of those passages it sounded to me like you went in and out. You've now told me that you haven't, so I concluded that my ears, as a listener, are letting me down because there's no rhythmic accompaniment to help me out. If it isn't a problem for any other listeners, then happily ignore what I've said.

I don't know if you remember but somewhere near the beginning I said I liked both videos.

[quote name='The Funk' post='476855' date='May 1 2009, 11:41 AM']Clearly you've taken offence at what I've said and you now see us as being in some kind of competition.

When you play phrases across the barline, as you do, and which I love, and play syncopated phrases which don't have a note on the 1 or 2 or 4, then it can be easy as a listener to lose a sense of where you are. That's what I meant about context and without a simple 1,2,3,4 happening underneath some of those passages it sounded to me like you went in and out. You've now told me that you haven't, so I concluded that my ears, as a listener, are letting me down because there's no rhythmic accompaniment to help me out. If it isn't a problem for any other listeners, then happily ignore what I've said.

I don't know if you remember but somewhere near the beginning I said I liked both videos.[/quote]

I must admit that one of my pet hates are musicians with bad timing (especially drummers who cannot play to a click) and your comment "You didn't waver a lot but just enough to distract me a little" got me because on both videos I made sure I was perfectly in time. You cant hear it but I am watching a digital metronome which is on silent.

I guess I should learn to take constructive critisms better, besides I can tell you know what you are talking about!
It would make sense to have an 'audible' rhythmic accompaniment next time!

No hard feelings! and thanks for the advice!
:)
Andy

Edited by Captain Bass

[quote name='Alun' post='477118' date='May 1 2009, 03:52 PM']I like these a lot, thanks for posting them. Reminds me a lot of Trip Wamsley, which is a good thing :rolleyes:

Cheers
Alun[/quote]
Cheers man!

I just checked out Trip Wamsley on youtube :)

He makes me sound like the bassist from "Fallout Boy"

[quote name='Captain Bass' post='476944' date='May 1 2009, 12:42 PM']It would make sense to have an 'audible' rhythmic accompaniment next time!

No hard feelings! and thanks for the advice![/quote]

No problem. I can't always get across what I'm trying to say very well.

(I'm going to try to steal a few of your licks and tricks :) ).

[quote name='Mike' post='477445' date='May 2 2009, 12:45 AM']Great work, Andy. I must admit, I'm really not partial to solo bass -but these were really good. Great tone, very clean recording. Excellent work! Look forward to more![/quote]
Ah thanks Mike! that means a lot!

[quote name='simondee' post='476839' date='May 1 2009, 11:25 AM']You've just inspired me to restring my Thumb E-C. Lovely stuff Andy.[/quote]
It's definately a good idea if you have a spare 5 string lying around and it is certainly more fun!
I'm surprised more bassists don't do it!
Although it may not be practical in a band situation!