Why become a member? ×

Di'd pedal chain order Help!

Pinball

Hi, I have a small pedal chain but am struggling to successfully introduce more drive.

The chain that I have been using for some time is:

Bass in > A loop pedal (containing a Boss Synth and Dirty Robot)  > Boss Flanger > Teck 21 Dug Pinnock preamp, which is Di'd. 

I normally run no more that one pedal, along with the DP (which has compression/distortion and a tuner). The results are great and I have had loads of complements about the tone.

I am now at the point of recording new tracks and want to introduce more distortion and finding that early in the chain isn't working and I don't want to stick it the dirt on the end as I will loose the XLR output at the end of the chain. What do I try next? Some pointers would be much appreciated as it will save me from experimenting at band rehearsals.

Dirt will comer from either a Chief Disruptor and or Grizzly fuzz/distortion.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ed 

Put the Chief (or the Grizzly) right after the bass. Not to the loop. Try that first. Then compare the sound in the loop.

If your bass has a preamp (a battery powered tone stack), it may be so that the placement of the OD/dist/fuzz can be whatever. The signal that drives the pedal is lo-Z (low impedance) and the signal is practically the same in the pedal chain. But if your bass is so called passive, that fuzzistor of yours may act differently if it is the first after the bass, or deeper in the chain. Do trials, and please comment here later on.

• Like 2

If it’s only for recording would a plug in or dirt on another track which could be blended be a work around rather than doing it all in your signal chain? The beauty of recording is the flexibility it offers. Might be a faff but if your taking a clean di and your pedal board sound in theory it should be a simple enough. 

The other suggestion might be adding in a loop or blend and you can introduce the dirt where it works best. I have a cab sim pedal   At the end of my chain and run my main dirt after the preamp and into that before hitting the desk as it makes the drive sound more pleasing. My always on dirt is in the fx loop of the Basswitch so that helps with signal chain and routing. Adding in another loop/blend might not be what you’re after but it could solve the problem? 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, krispn said:

If it’s only for recording would a plug in or dirt on another track which could be blended be a work around rather than doing it all in your signal chain? The beauty of recording is the flexibility it offers. Might be a faff but if your taking a clean di and your pedal board sound in theory it should be a simple enough. 

Thx, I do want to have the same set up/sound live. I also have a loop in my current set up so will mess around with that approach when I get sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update in that I have tried the dirt pedals before the DP pedal but for recording am getting too much background noise, I'm much happier with going straight from the Grand Disrupter or Grizzly into my scarlet and then messing with the sound post recording. If I decide to use the combo live I think I may need to do some signal splitting as I don't want to be turning dials in a live performance.