Why become a member? ×

Strap Locks

LowB_FTW

Evenin' all,

As you may (or may not!) know, I got a new bass recently. I also got a new strap. GOOD TIMES!

My old strap locks don't fit the new bass. BAD TIMES.

This (Amazon link) is what my old strap locks look like.

Will I have to buy new strap locks to fit my new bass? The strap holder on the new bass is too large to fit the existing locks on to, is there a different lock type I can get that will fit the existing strap pegs (what are the strap holders actually called, just simply strap holders or … ?)?

This is intended as a project bass but I'm really liking playing it at the moment, and neither project is anywhere near ready yet, so it'll be used as-is for the time being, and I didn't wanna have to start modding it quite so soon.

Reason for this post is I can't play it sitting down. I'm 2.5yrs into a frozen shoulder, and whilst this is getting better, I think it's impacted my ability to comfortably play my basses sitting down, it's just not possible for me at the moment and I don't know when - or if - it ever will be possible again.

So, all that being said, do I need to replace the 'pegs' in the bass, or is it possible to get locks that'll fit the existing fittings?

Mark

Can you provide a picture of what the strap buttons on your new bass look like?

That said, if you have Schallers now, it would be easiest to get new Schaller S-lock buttons. They're supposedly the same size as the old Schaller straplocks, but with the wood screw integrated (they're milled/lathed from a single piece) and with a hex key slot instead of a cross head. I could see if they're indeed interchangeable when I get home from work. 

OR you could replace the set as a whole (both the ends that go onto your strap and the strap buttons). The new S-locks are really nice, and a great evolution of the original design. I have both, I recently bought the new model for one of my guitars. It has some major improvements over the old model:

• the thread which goes through your strap is a lot longer than on the old model, easily accommodating thick straps;
  • the ring and nut holding your strap in place have been replaced with a large thumbwheel with a lock screw which is much easier to fasten and which stays in place very well;
  • the integrated wood screw in the strap button is very well-made and solid.
Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

I'll see if I can get an image of the current strap buttons on the new bass.

If push comes to shove I'll have to get the same type of buttons that fit my existing strap locks, as they fit my other electric bass, and I don't really want to be swapping strap locks on the strap when switching between basses.

Mark

The Fender ones are Schaller compatible (originally made by Schaller, in fact). Thomann do Schaller compatibles for about a fiver (plus a tenner shipping, so get anything else you may want at the same time) - https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_security_locks_bk.htm 

So just get a set of those, install them on the new bass, and you've got strap buttons that work with the current strap and if you should splash out on a new strap, you can fit the new straplocks to that and use it with either bass.

I hear you with regards to the frozen shoulder thing, I’m a year and a half in. I ended up selling my TRB1005 because I was painful to play.

Strap locks…. Personally I put Dunlops on everything. All my basses have them fitted as soon as they arrive. So all my basses and straps all correspond. You can buy the button parts separately from Feline Guitars without having to buy the full set every time a new bass comes in. 

11 hours ago, Rayman said:

I hear you with regards to the frozen shoulder thing, I’m a year and a half in. I ended up selling my TRB1005 because I was painful to play.

Dude, it's heartbreaking to hear you had to sell gear because of your shoulder. I just stopped playing for the last 2.5yrs, there was really no other thing for me to do. I didn't have to sell my gear, so I held on to it.

I used the time to window shop and come up with my own idea for a bass build, which I'm now in the very early stages of starting, but the shoulder is still far from being 100%, so I just have to take things very easy and listen to my body.

Back to the strap locks, I'm still weighing up my options, but thanks everyone for the responses so far, you're a helpful lot here, eh?

Mark

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Back to the strap locks, I'm still weighing up my options, but thanks everyone for the responses so far, you're a helpful lot here, eh?

Mark

Easiest is probably to get a set of Fender/Schaller compatible strap buttons. These are the latest version:

https://schaller.info/en/s-locks/# 

Edit: Schaller state in this link that the old buttons are compatible with the new locks, but they don't recommend using old locks with the new buttons. So it's best to find a set of the previous model strap buttons, with the separate screw rather than the integrated Allen screw. 

15 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

Dude, it's heartbreaking to hear you had to sell gear because of your shoulder.

Yeah and in hindsight there was no point. I should’ve just put away for when my flexibility came back. I have an Epiphone Newport on order, to see if a shortscacle helps…. 

• Like 1

I have used various types in the past that are good but can wear and fail including schaller and the ball pin type.

I now tend to use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUNLOP-STRAP-acoustic-electric-guitar/dp/B001O7TDLK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Dunlop+Strap%2BLocks&qid=1681106282&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-4

Quite often you get extras in the pack.

They are easy to fit,  last well and do a great job.

They also allow the bass to fit into it's case without taking the strap off. 

Although they are just plastic and cheap I haven't known these to fail.

Some of them can be stiff to turn on occasion when new but a tiny bit of wd40 or other lube will sort that out easily.

I have also used the rubber bottle seal type which are very effective and reliable but a bit of a pig to put on.

Just check them for perishing regularly.

They have never failed either.

All that glitters is not gold.

With reference to your frozen shoulder. I had issues with freezing shoulders both arms in my 20,s

Cortisone injections into the shoulder joints completely cured it over a period of time.

Has your doctor given you that solution?

If not chase them up.

Hope to hear you get better

Just to qualify in my case it was referred to as painful arc syndrome i.e a swelling of the tisses in the shoulder joints.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Thanks 1

On 08/04/2023 at 08:59, Rayman said:

I put Dunlops on everything. All my basses have them fitted as soon as they arrive.
So all my basses and straps all correspond.
You can buy the button parts separately from Feline Guitars without having to buy the full set every time a new bass comes in. 

Hi folks 
Thought I would sign up as I keep hearing guys saying how much they enjoy the site 

We do indeed stock the Dunlop buttons as a spares item and in all 3 colours (Nickel, black and gold) and in two styles 
1) the dual design button
2 ) recessed flush mount buttons
These can be found on our own web-shop or on our eBay page

s-l1600-58.jpg

s-l1600-59.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey @Feline Guitars, thanks for posting and commenting here, and for the links in your post.

I ended up getting a pair of Schaller replacement bits that screw into the body, it turns out they were the wrong kind (because I'm an idiot) and got the newer type with the fixed hex screw. One of them actually fits my existing strap pieces.

With a little management I've now got working strap locks for the new bass.

Mark

On 09/04/2023 at 10:03, LeftyJ said:

Easiest is probably to get a set of Fender/Schaller compatible strap buttons. These are the latest version:

https://schaller.info/en/s-locks/# 

Edit: Schaller state in this link that the old buttons are compatible with the new locks, but they don't recommend using old locks with the new buttons. So it's best to find a set of the previous model strap buttons, with the separate screw rather than the integrated Allen screw. 

I've fallen foul of that - I've got an assortment of original Schallers, three different Boston Schaller-compatibles, and Schaller S-locks. My S-lock straps go on everything, my old Schaller strap goes on my S-Lock basses, my Boston straps (all three) go on my original Schallers but not on the S-locks. The strap buttons of the S-locks are 0.1mm greater in diameter and 0.1mm further from the top to the channel that the straplock slots into, and that's enough for the Bostons to jam short of engaging. I shall just have to ensure that the straps that I take out are compatible with the bass - at least I have very few S-lock equipped basses.

If a company can't keep it's new releases compatible with the original release they are acknowledging the original was crap and get crossed off my Christmas list.

Just my opinion of the "buy the latest" crap we are subjected to.

If it works why change it? If it didn't work or had faults send out replacements to us all.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1