Why become a member? ×

20 minutes ago, BabyBlueSound said:

I understand compression basics, I just don't understand how any of that applies if your Sansamp is already compressing your sound and you have a compressor after that (and I would not really put it in front of the Sansamp, as it needs the dynamic range as input).

I think it would depend on how much you lean into the sansamp distortion. Heavy distortion is a bit like compression in some ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you need to test your configuration first.

If the comp is the first in line, it will lessen the dynamics and the rest will follow. It's not obviously a bad thing, really depends on your sound, and what do you want from it.

If it is the last in line, you can use the dynamics from your fingers, and push all effects before the compression.

Some effects like dynamics, like envelope filters. An octaver may love or hate a comp. Once more, this depends on the dynamics and noises created by fingers... check the placement of the comp via trials.

(A note: there are hi-Z ["passive"] and lo-Z ["active"] basses. My feel is that comps tend to act differently certain bass outputs. I have boards for hi-Z and lo-Z basses.)

• Like 1

@itu Believe me if I'd have the comp, I'd test it. I know exactly how it would act in theory, like you described. I am looking for someone who actually tested it before ordering the comp.

I mean, it's really not that ununsual to have a Sansamp AND a comp, these aren't rare pedals... I am very sure someone tested it before and after and can tell me their results.

If not, I'll let you know my results once I get one in the future.

@ped that's my point, with my ears I detect pretty solid compression even on sub-9hour drive, where it's almost completely clean.

• Like 1

Very good!

I added that note to the end, because I tested a variety of comps (and distortions) a few years ago. An eye-opening exercise and experience! After changing - by accident - a bass to another, I found out that the putput impedance seemed to play a role in the behaviour of the units.

I even tried to do some leveling of the signals to rule that out. The level sure has an effect, but so does impedance. I tried a looper to keep levels steady - yes, but looper's output is lo-Z. Bass specific tests showed different behaviour.

After reading about this a lot today, of course all 3 expected answers are represented on all board🫠 

1. no you dont need a compressor for a Sansamp

2. yes you need one and put it in front of the Sansamp

3. yes you need one and put it after the Sansamp
So basically only a matter of time before I break down and get that Boss multiband one anyway I guess 😅

until then, here's this guy

Edited by BabyBlueSound
  • Haha 2

On 04/11/2023 at 15:54, BabyBlueSound said:

Help me out please, compressorheads!

Just got a Sansamp Paradriver, yay! I have been told before these pedals should eliminate the need for compressors/limiters as they're designed to even out the sound, and I see it's manual actually confirms this.

But I have seen a lot of boards where there's a compressor before or after the Sansamp (which is in the chain and not used as DI).

After playing around with the pedal, I do hear the compressed character and my crappy uneven playing is evened out to more than I expected it would be.

So how would I justify GAS for a Boss BC-1X? :) 

I have had the Paradriver, and tried compressors before and after.... but to be honest I think the only thing for it is to try for yourself because unless you have the same playing style/Bass/strings & setup/other pedals/amp/cab and tastes as me then my opinions aren't going to be worth much to you. To also help turn up the GAS though, the BC-1X (or other Compressor pedals) will give you more control over compression than just using the  Paradriver, especially if you want low drive clean settings on the Paradriver but with a lot of compression.

Generally though, as @ped said, how much the Paradriver compresses depends on how much drive is used- so if you use a lot of drive then a seperate compressor is perhaps not as worthwhile as if you use it relatively clean, and as the video you posted says - there are certain advantages/disadvantages with a seperate compressor being placed before/after drive. If a compressor is going to be worthwhile then there is the massive choice of compressors and it depends on what sort of control you want, and what 'flavours' of compression. I've found it to be a very deep inter-connected rabbit hole once also considering how different setups interact. Buy/sell second hand on Basschat and it isn't too costly (at least, that's what I tell myself!).

Edited by SumOne
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BabyBlueSound said:

Well... thanks for the GAS, Boss will owe you a fiver very soon I guess. 😉

Once you get that I'd recommend a loop switcher that can do reverse, something like this: https://brightonion.co.uk/products/dual-reverse-looper

Then at the click of a button you can hear what the compressor is like before/after drive. And can put whole groups of Pedals in each loop so it opens up a lot of possibilities. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

All this talk made me remember I had a cheap Donner compressor buried in a storage drawer somewhere. I was never quite satisfied with that pedal due to the lack of proper controls, I found it either took away thump and character, or it was adding a too consistent mid-growl. I mean, even more so than the other compressors which usually do this, but this is a £30 pedal, so did not expect much.

I finally managed to dial in a setting that's propably the ONLY good sounding one for this specific bass, and I am almost completely satisfied with the results. For recording, I'll probably use a dynamic compressor VST though, but that can't come in front of the Sansamp... 😀

GAS is on half burn, Boss is still on the list, but now it can maybe wait to become a belated Christmas present to myself. 😀

donnersansamprafferty.thumb.png.ae5330435002596abf865e8f36ee830f.png

16 minutes ago, BabyBlueSound said:

All this talk made me remember I had a cheap Donner compressor buried in a storage drawer somewhere. I was never quite satisfied with that pedal due to the lack of proper controls, I found it either took away thump and character, or it was adding a too consistent mid-growl. I mean, even more so than the other compressors which usually do this, but this is a £30 pedal, so did not expect much.

I finally managed to dial in a setting that's propably the ONLY good sounding one for this specific bass, and I am almost completely satisfied with the results. For recording, I'll probably use a dynamic compressor VST though, but that can't come in front of the Sansamp... 😀

GAS is on half burn, Boss is still on the list, but now it can maybe wait to become a belated Christmas present to myself. 😀

donnersansamprafferty.thumb.png.ae5330435002596abf865e8f36ee830f.png

I must say that my MXR M87 plays really nicely with my Tech21 VTDI.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a few hours to myself to really test it. Unless I mess up the threshold completely, it just sounds good on all settings. Always a bit different, but always good. The sort of great compressor where you can't really hear it, you can just feel it. I only ever had cheap ones before, the difference is amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabyBlueSound said:

Finally had a few hours to myself to really test it. Unless I mess up the threshold completely, it just sounds good on all settings. Always a bit different, but always good. The sort of great compressor where you can't really hear it, you can just feel it. I only ever had cheap ones before, the difference is amazing.

Montero or Griezlie ?!?!

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...