Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Studio15 modification.

Marty Forrer

I purchased a new Ashdown Studio15 which is very light and supposedly 300 watts. It has no provision for an extension cab. Tried it out and was underwhelmed, especially when comparing to a Fender Rumble V3. Being the incorrigible tinkerer I am, I opened it up to have a looksee. The Ashdown labelled neo speaker was VERY light and is labelled 4 ohms (I checked it on a multimeter) and 150 watts!! No acoustic batting in the cab either. I lined it and tried it out again. Still underwhelming. Replaced the speaker with an Eminence Deltalite 2515 (the older model, not the Deltalite II 2515) which is rated at 300w RMS and is 8 ohms. I got it on special. Holy cow!! All of a sudden this is a very usable combo. Fat and grunty, it's turned into a tone monster. Also, I now have the option of installing an extension speaker socket, but I can't see me needing that. The Eminence added about 3 lbs to the weight but still a light combo and easy to schlep..

• Like 1

My experiences I bought a new cab a few years ago rated at 250 Watts and opened it up to find a 150w at 8ohm speaker in it. I phoned the company to ask why such a small speaker and the man on the phone told me that if I blew the speaker he would send me a new one for free. Regards to port sizes I have 2x 15" cabs. I have a Ashdown driver, a Panasonic driver and a Celestion. All work in either cab by my ears. I don't think 15s are very fussy. 

9 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I love a good mod.  I remember reading about people swapping out drivers on the Rumble 100 combos for more chutzpah.  Does the port tuning need any amendment though?

I did nothing to the port. As Skinny said, I don't think 15"s are fussy.

On 11/04/2023 at 23:10, Marty Forrer said:

I don't care about that. The combo is now 500% better than before. I don't understand why Ashdown build a great sounding amp and stick a crappy speaker in it.

Penny-pinching most like, and an egregious case of false advertising. Regardless of the fact that you've already replaced the speaker I'd still be contacting Ashdown and the retailer to complain that you've been sold a pup.