Why become a member? ×

Q's about Trace's old 1518 cab

stevebasshead

I have an old Trace Elliot 1518 cab which I've had for about 6 years now. I don't know how old it is but it's from sometime before they carpet covered them and I had reason to take the speaker out last week. It turns out it's a Fane whereas I was expecting a Celestion - was I wrong or do you think the previous owner(s) changed it ? Could this be why it sounds brighter than I was expecting for a 15 inch cab ?

Also, there was no sound damping wadding at all in the cab, does anyone know if there should be ?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Earlier Trace's used Fane speakers, I think they changed over in the late 80's/early 90's to Celestion, though someone else on here (DrP please!!) may be able to give more accurate dates.

AFAIK, none of the Trace speakers ever had wadding in, mine certainly don't.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='3640' date='May 21 2007, 01:50 PM']I have an old Trace Elliot 1518 cab which I've had for about 6 years now. I don't know how old it is but it's from sometime before they carpet covered them and I had reason to take the speaker out last week. It turns out it's a Fane whereas I was expecting a Celestion - was I wrong or do you think the previous owner(s) changed it ? Could this be why it sounds brighter than I was expecting for a 15 inch cab ?

Also, there was no sound damping wadding at all in the cab, does anyone know if there should be ?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.[/quote]

[quote name='Merton' post='3650' date='May 21 2007, 02:58 PM']Earlier Trace's used Fane speakers, I think they changed over in the late 80's/early 90's to Celestion, though someone else on here (DrP please!!) may be able to give more accurate dates.

AFAIK, none of the Trace speakers ever had wadding in, mine certainly don't.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply Merton. Interestingly my 4x10 (also vinyl covered) has some wadding in there but I've no idea if they were made/bought at the same time as each other, originally.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='4341' date='May 22 2007, 01:59 PM']I had an 1110 combo, and that had wadding. I presume it to have been made in the mid-late 80's.
My 122HSMX was undamped, as are my 1048H and 1153. All of the latter three have Celestions. Can't comment on the 1110. I never dared to open it up...[/quote]

...or lift it alone :) Nice beast !! My 1048 on it's own is a pain to lift, let alone in combo form. That and the 1518 are the reason I went for a pair of Tech cabs. And now my back is speaking to me again.

I suspect that the early Trace's had wadding then when Kaman took over the costs were decided to be too high and the wadding was removed. In the next couple of months mine are both going to have some put in them, when i get round to it....

[quote name='Merton' post='4381' date='May 22 2007, 02:34 PM']I suspect that the early Trace's had wadding then when Kaman took over the costs were decided to be too high and the wadding was removed. In the next couple of months mine are both going to have some put in them, when i get round to it....[/quote]

I'm going to be selling them soon (about time, I've had the Tech's long enough) and while the speaker's out I might as well put some wadding in. Just as an aside, the only reason the speaker's out is because I was using its magnet to remagnetise the Horseshoe's off my Ric's bridge pickup. Works a treat as you'll see below !

Neither of my Trace cabs have wadding, but neither does me really early GP11 combo... That just has a huuuuge port underneath!!!! I think it does have a Fane speaker in though.
The cabs sound fine without wadding in though... Im still very happy with them, though only bit missing is I have a 1048 cab, not 1048H, so I dont have a horn...still sounds the dogs danglies though! :)

Hi there, the driver is a Fane Studio 7 Series unit, this was standard in the single 15's of the mid to late 80's. There was wadding in some of the earlier big boxes (8x10, 1812 etc) but they ditched it around series 3. Top class driver and dead right for the box. If you need a replacement, the Unit to use is an Emminence Pro series 300W unit with the cast chassis.

Andy

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='4379' date='May 22 2007, 01:31 PM']...or lift it alone :) Nice beast !! My 1048 on it's own is a pain to lift, let alone in combo form. That and the 1518 are the reason I went for a pair of Tech cabs. And now my back is speaking to me again.[/quote]

No worries!

My job involves lots of lifting heavy/awkward loads. After 18 years, I've got the technique down! I only lift when I have to, though. That's the trick.
My 1153 has castors, and I have a dolly board/elastic straps for the rest so it all just rolls.

My issue with the 1048 is its depth. You can't get it AND you through a single doorway sideways at the same time. Face on, and you can kiss your knuckles goodbye. Ditto the 1518. It's the same enclosure with different baffle, grille, ports and driver.

[quote name='overwater#1' post='5805' date='May 24 2007, 03:06 PM']Neither of my Trace cabs have wadding, but neither does me really early GP11 combo... That just has a huuuuge port underneath!!!! I think it does have a Fane speaker in though.
The cabs sound fine without wadding in though... Im still very happy with them, though only bit missing is I have a 1048 cab, not 1048H, so I dont have a horn...still sounds the dogs danglies though! :huh:[/quote]

In that case I can foresee my own inertia not getting round to adding wadding anyway, I'll leave it as the factory intended - cheers.

[quote name='rumour6' post='7396' date='May 26 2007, 11:57 PM']Hi there, the driver is a Fane Studio 7 Series unit, this was standard in the single 15's of the mid to late 80's. There was wadding in some of the earlier big boxes (8x10, 1812 etc) but they ditched it around series 3. Top class driver and dead right for the box. If you need a replacement, the Unit to use is an Emminence Pro series 300W unit with the cast chassis.

Andy[/quote]

Cheers Andy, that's helped me to date the cab. I'm quite chuffed with it's condition for a 20yr old example.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='7558' date='May 27 2007, 12:19 PM']No worries!

My job involves lots of lifting heavy/awkward loads. After 18 years, I've got the technique down! I only lift when I have to, though. That's the trick.
My 1153 has castors, and I have a dolly board/elastic straps for the rest so it all just rolls.

My issue with the 1048 is its depth. You can't get it AND you through a single doorway sideways at the same time. Face on, and you can kiss your knuckles goodbye. Ditto the 1518. It's the same enclosure with different baffle, grille, ports and driver.[/quote]

My knuckles would tend to agree with you on that one. As does the fingernail I once lost through another ill advised manouvre... :)