Why become a member? ×

Low sounds pants compared to the rest. Any advice?

sirmuppet

Hope you have got this resolved, but in case not, looking at the second picture it ‘looks’ like the nut has cracked or been repaired? As this is on the E string side, it ‘could’ be the cause of the weakened sound. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JPJ said:

Hope you have got this resolved, but in case not, looking at the second picture it ‘looks’ like the nut has cracked or been repaired? As this is on the E string side, it ‘could’ be the cause of the weakened sound. 

Good eye. I hadn't even spotted that. My OCD says thet'll be getting replaced regardless, lol.

I got this direct from the Fender factory brand new so by this point I don't really have any comeback but I'm whizzed as that's Fenders QC down again. 

Again awesome spot on that!

2 hours ago, JPJ said:

That is naughty - I had a second look and you're right - very clear that the nut has been cracked and repaired. Good spot.

Ok, so what I tried didn't solve the issue when put through an amp. The nut needs fixed in my opinion but it's likely that won't solve an issues when fretted. 

Am I missing trying anything else? Next option is to swap the saddle around just in case there's something there.

Is it worth trying a Taperwound string since it's a USA string through body?

Edited by sirmuppet
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 17:01, alyctes said:

Have you tried a different bass (same model, if possible)?  I'm just wondering if it might be an issue with your hearing.

I haven't got the same model but it's basically a precision and I have 2 of those which are perfect. Even my Jazz had a basier sounding E string. 

I had my hearing checked a couple of months ago. While I have a little loss it's still less than expected atmy age even if I do have tinnitus 😆

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 17:01, alyctes said:

Have you tried a different bass (same model, if possible)?  I'm just wondering if it might be an issue with your hearing.

Just had a thought, I have tried the same bass. I had the same model 3 months prior and there were no issues like this with it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so thought I'd update this. I took the bass apart and put it back together again. Same issue. What I then tried was swapping the bass saddles around and that seems to have sorted it. There was nothing there that was obviously an issue but guessing something was out of whack. Still not a massived low end sounding bass but it doesn't sound bad now. Cheers again for all the tips.

• Like 3

From the pictures I would look closely at that nut first as it looks to me like its been damaged and filled with something even right up to the end. 

Also your string seems to sit on the slot of the bridge saddle rather than in it. Not sure if that is possible cause or not but I would consider it as it limits the contact area between the string and saddle.

7 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

From the pictures I would look closely at that nut first as it looks to me like its been damaged and filled with something even right up to the end. 

Also your string seems to sit on the slot of the bridge saddle rather than in it. Not sure if that is possible cause or not but I would consider it as it limits the contact area between the string and saddle.

Sorry I should have read to the end before posting this I came straight here from the photos you posted.

Oops

Glad you have made progress with it.

Edited by Ralf1e
Added info
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Sorry I should have read to the end before posting this I came straight here from the photos you posted.

Oops

Glad you have made progress with it.

No worries. Figured I'd post the fix in case anyone else ever has that issue and sees this thread.

It must be an optical illusion as it is/was sitting in the groove. I always check that it's in the correct one to sit between the poles on the pickup.