Why become a member? ×

Short scale high tension flatwounds

francisabear

Hi all, title says it all really. I have some Maruszczyk flatwound 4 Medium strings on my medium scale at the moment, but don’t really know if they are high or low tension as I have nothing to compare them with (these are my first set of flatwounds). I do prefer a higher tension string though… 

Recommendations much appreciated, to fit a fender Coronado:  

2EA31E5F-C555-47F8-A5AE-7D5E393B8018.jpeg

Edited by francisabear
Extra info

8 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Rotosound 77's are pretty stiff flats but the gauge can/will depend on the scale length.

When was the last time you tried Roto flats? I ask as I had the same opinion, the Roto flats from years ago were bloody stiff, however I was given a set just before covid, and had another since, and they are no longer as high tension. The last couple of sets I've had were really nice, well balanced, very musical - very different from sets 5+ years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My short scale flats are around 18 months old and replaced 50 - 110 nickel roundwounds with a smooth winding so slightly higher tension than standard without requiring any mod to the neck relief.

I did fit some medium scale 77's which were higher tension and came in the older cardboard packaging but actual age unknown but could have been 5+ years.

I echo the comments regarding musicality and balance.