Why become a member? ×

NUBD (new upright bass day)

Marc S

I have searched for ages for a portable, EUB type upright that sounded and felt like an acoustic upright for ages. I've been round the houses, and had settled on my Ibanez Upswing.... although it doesn't sound that much like an acoustic upright, and didn't feel like one either. Interestingly though, I quite like the way it sounds, and band mates and punters alike have said the same...

I've really enjoyed playing it, and it certainly has been portable. Funnily enough, I've always had questions, comments and compliments whenever I've gigged it. Last Friday, 6 or 7 people in the audience came to chat to me afterwards.

But just the other day, this bass came up - and they don't turn up 2nd hand very often. So I took the trip and tried it. Straight away I could tell I was going to like it, and now, at last, I have a portable upright which sounds and feels like a true acoustic DB. 

The controls are good, and make the sounds from it really flexible - volume, treble, middle and bass. And I'm liking what I get at home through a small amp or headphones. Can't wait to put it through a big amp, at a venue. Unplugged, it's loud enough to practice along to a youtube video.

My only decision now is whether to keep the Ibanez Upswing - because I've rather grown to like it.... doh!

20230324_104309~2.jpg

20230324_104325~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

That looks great - what's the make and model?

It's a BSX (brand) Allegro model. They're only sold by Bass Direct, I think. This one was 2nd hand (they rarely come up). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petebassist said:

I think these look great, better aesthetically than the Eminence, and also I think sound better for a small bodied acoustic. Are they heavy? Can you carry them in a gig bag? 

They're not too heavy. It's about the same weight as my Ibanez Upswing - albeit the Upswing weight includes stand. Yes to the gigbag - they come supplied with one.

They also break down like the Eminence - you can fit them in a golf case, for taking on aeroplanes. 

I had an Eminence, which was great- however, I think this feels more "solid" & sturdily built. Love the sound from it - practicing in the house, it really sounds like a full bodied upright.

Really glad I bit the bullet on this  😀 

• Like 1

Included with this bass, was the bracket to fit to a stand (it will bolt onto a cymbal stand).

But so far I'm finding I like the removable tummy-rest. It's quite comfortable, and you can angle it to your preference. With the endpin retracted, the bass will sit in a standard A-frame guitar stand.

Also attached a photo of the controls. T, M & B knobs have a centre position too, which I'm sure will help.

20230324_163631.jpg

20230324_163651.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the BSX alongside a standard P bass. What I forgot to mention earlier, is a real boon - I can play this upright while sat in comfort on the sofa. It's just the right height with endpin retracted and the bottom of the body doesn't get in the way....

20230324_164523~2.jpg

• Like 4

Just a quick update as to my thoughts on this bass. I'm really so glad I went for this fabulous Upright.
I'm really enjoying playing it, and I love the sound. Not gigged it yet, but had a kitchen practice with singer/guitarist and fiddle player.....
both band-mates said the bass looked interesting and really nice, and both commented on how good it sounded.

What has been a real boon with this upright, is the fact I can pick it up quickly, from the A-frame guitar stand, and just sit on the sofa and play it. I don't need to stand up to play it Pizzicato - as the body is so small, I can just play it easily. It's something that is encouraging me to play more often, even if just for 10 -15 mins at a time. I can jam along to YouTube or the radio, as I have the remotes to hand on the sofa next to me.

One thing I might do in future, is to change the strings for something lighter gauge.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Both the Eminence and the BSX were on my wish list before I bought the NXT. Looks like you’ve scored a very nice bass. I’m sure I am not the only one who would be interested in hearing a few sound clips 😉

On 31/03/2023 at 12:09, JPJ said:

Both the Eminence and the BSX were on my wish list before I bought the NXT. Looks like you’ve scored a very nice bass. I’m sure I am not the only one who would be interested in hearing a few sound clips 😉

Ah, I must admit - I'm terrible at home-recording / tech type stuff. However, in a couple of weeks, I'll be doing a video with one of my bands, at a really decent studio & venue (Acapella Studios , Cardiff) I'll share that as soon as I can.

I did once own an Eminence @JPJand I have to say, I really liked it, but I definitely prefer the BSX. It feels a more solid, better construction (the bridge on the Eminence always felt a little "lightweight" to me. Plus, I really like the sounds from the BSX. I particularly like the wide ranging EQ settings. The pre-amp seems really nice, and the pickup has a nice, natural sound to it. I'll see what the studio engineer says about it. I met him before, when I had a jam session, using my Ibanez Upswing. He really liked the sound from that, although not quite "upright-like" he thought it had a great sound of its' own.

• Like 1