Why become a member? ×

Fitting Fretless neck to Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jazz Bass

woodywyatt

17 minutes ago, woodywyatt said:

I'm looking a fitting a new Fretless neck to my old trusty Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jazz Bass. Will any fretless Jazz bass neck fit?
Also,  any recommendations on the best place to buy one? 

Cheers folks 🙂

No, not any neck will fit, but certainly most will, especially aftermarket necks by Mighty Mite, Allparts, Warmoth (they are to my mind the best brands although Fender aftermarket are also reasonably priced) because they are made to retro fit to Fender, but not all neck will. But before deciding also check your neck pocket is standard Fender fit. Good luck, fretless is fun 👍

• Like 2

I fitted one of these to my squire jazz body -

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Goeldo-NJFLF-Fretless-Neck-for-4-String-Jazz-Bass-Rosewood-/art-GIT0009714-000

It has side dots on the usual fret positions 3,5,7, etc. They’re on the note position not between them like a fretted neck. It didn’t come with a nut. Seems like a really good quality neck. I’ve been playing it with round wounds for over a year now and there’s not too much fretboard marking.

before this one I fitted the standard fender neck but I really disliked the colour of the fingerboard and wanted to try an unlined fingerboard. Turns out it’s not much different.

by the way it dropped straight in. I think the body is a classic vibe 70’s but not sure.A590F84F-59EB-41A8-B339-B0F6FD182719.thumb.jpeg.be345a4cafcbdaff609fde172f586792.jpeg075B2867-FEE0-4655-86A8-B11E3856DB59.thumb.jpeg.3da767974af41c4dcefb84ef165972a8.jpeg075B2867-FEE0-4655-86A8-B11E3856DB59.thumb.jpeg.3da767974af41c4dcefb84ef165972a8.jpeg

Edited by Waddycall
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Critical measurements - neck pocket, number of frets, scale.

Beware of de-fretted necks - anybody with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver can butcher a fretted neck.

This for sure. Measure the depth of the neck pocket as well as the thickness of the heel of the neck to help buy something that will give you a good action without a load of mods.

Also check if your neck heel is curved or straight to be sure you get the correct type.

Have fun 

Edited by Ralf1e
Added info