Why become a member? ×

Yet Another "how do I get this synth sound?" Thread

Sharkfinger

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

When you say "accurate" with normal muting are you not simply implying a more staccato style? But same point applies to having to use it all the time. 

The Boss SY-200 doesn't require you to adopt muting to avoid farting/glitching. The trade-off is not as rich synth tone as the FI delivers. So horses for courses, depending on what works best for you. 

I think the muting referred to here means muting other strings not being used. These pedals tend to get 'confused' otherwise. Here muting = playing cleanly, just the intended notes and avoiding any other noises. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I think the muting referred to here means muting other strings not being used. These pedals tend to get 'confused' otherwise. Here muting = playing cleanly, just the intended notes and avoiding any other noises. 

No, in the case of the song in the OP each note has very short release and a noticeable gap between notes which gives the bass line its distinctive feel, so not only do you need to mute the other strings to avoid tracking issues but you also need to be able to stop each note that your are playing in the appropriate place without producing another thump that will re-trigger any effects you are using.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not debating that palm muting is a useful technique - I use it on plenty of material. It's being forced to use it all the time with the FI even when not appropriate to the song we're playing, just to avoid the FI pedal farting/glitching all over the place that I've an issue with.

I wasn’t talking about palm muting, though this can also be used if desired. 

I was talking about regular string muting which is a part of normal playing. i.e. how you stop unplayed strings from ringing out and how you bring a played string to rest. So a combination of having left-hand fingers resting lightly on unplayed strings and lifting a finger from a fretted note cleanly whilst quickly putting down other fingers lightly on that string to prevent any note-off noise. Then in the right hand, a combination of thumb/finger anchoring on unplayed strings and the Gary Willis right-hand finger muting technique whereby after you’ve plucked a note with one finger, the alternate finger is placed on that string to mute the note. 

Using all these things together where needed does vastly improve how the FI plays. Not only that, they are all useful tools in normal playing to help control note length, articulation and clean playing (no unwanted notes ringing out).

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 3