Why become a member? ×

Worrying looking crack...

The_D

I have had this bass for years and as long as I can remember it has had this crack at the neck. I have had a good close look and am sure its just the finish and not the actual neck itself.

Anyone know if I am deluding myself or if this is actually in the wood?

Only reason I ask is because there is a chance I am going to sell it and dont want to sell it then have it break on someone.

I have played it for years without any bother and it hasnt gotten any worse.

[quote name='The_D' post='474277' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:46 PM']I have had this bass for years and as long as I can remember it has had this crack at the neck. I have had a good close look and am sure its just the finish and not the actual neck itself.

Anyone know if I am deluding myself or if this is actually in the wood?

Only reason I ask is because there is a chance I am going to sell it and dont want to sell it then have it break on someone.

I have played it for years without any bother and it hasnt gotten any worse.[/quote]

What does it feel like? What does it look like when light passes over it?

[quote name='neepheid' post='474298' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:17 PM']What does it feel like? What does it look like when light passes over it?[/quote]

It feels smooth but if I drag a fingernail across it I can feel the split. If it is the wood it is cracked precisely through the finish as there are no cracks that I cant feel on the top.

I might have to sand down the finish just to be sure though.

If it is a crack is there anyway to seal it and prevent it from spreading? Like I said I have had it for 10+ years now and it hasnt spread.

It looks like a crack to me and if it has stayed stable for 10 years it may well remain so but you can bet your bottom dollar that if it takes a whack it will pat a lot quicker than if it wasn't there! :rolleyes:

I'm sure a good luthier could inject something in there to stabilse it further but you have to consider/off-set the cost of repair against what the bass is worth. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='474343' date='Apr 28 2009, 04:50 PM']It looks like a crack to me and if it has stayed stable for 10 years it may well remain so but you can bet your bottom dollar that if it takes a whack it will pat a lot quicker than if it wasn't there! :rolleyes:

I'm sure a good luthier could inject something in there to stabilse it further but you have to consider/off-set the cost of repair against what the bass is worth. :)[/quote]

Thats what I thought. If I decide to have it repaired, I could lose out on the sale. I have made it clear to the interested party that its there and sent him the above pic. Will have to wait and see if he is still interested.

Get a bottle of Loctite Super Glue Precision, it has a fine nozzle for getting into fine cracks and is of a thinner consistancy.

Try seeing if you can get a few drops into the crack, if it seems to sink in after more than a few drops, chances are that the glue is penetrating into a wood crack, as this will soak up the glue. If it is a lacquer crack (which I doubt), it will collect on the surface after a few drops, after it has finished running behind any lacquer that has lifted away from the wood.

If it is a wood crack, the glue will strengthen it and any excess can be sanded and polished flat.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='474374' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:12 PM']Get a bottle of Loctite Super Glue Precision, it has a fine nozzle for getting into fine cracks and is of a thinner consistancy.

Try seeing if you can get a few drops into the crack, if it seems to sink in after more than a few drops, chances are that the glue is penetrating into a wood crack, as this will soak up the glue. If it is a lacquer crack (which I doubt), it will collect on the surface after a few drops, after it has finished running behind any lacquer that has lifted away from the wood.

If it is a wood crack, the glue will strengthen it and any excess can be sanded and polished flat.[/quote]

Not a bad idea. I always thought superglue was poor for wood as it dries out? Its still prob my best option atm.

[quote name='The_D' post='474383' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:20 PM']Not a bad idea. I always thought superglue was poor for wood as it dries out? Its still prob my best option atm.[/quote]Before you use the glue, it's a good idea to breath heavily into the crack, :) this will give you a little added moisture which will help the glue bond into porous sufaces but the idea is to flood the crack with glue....oh dear.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='474413' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:48 PM']Before you use the glue, it's a good idea to breath heavily into the crack, :) this will give you a little added moisture which will help the glue bond into porous sufaces but the idea is to flood the crack with glue....oh dear.[/quote]

That just sounded so dirty in my head :rolleyes:

[quote]I think your own idea of sanding it down is probably the best option for you and the potential buyer as you will then both be fully aware of the extent of the problem and take the appropriate action.[/quote]

Well I got a reply and its not the bass for him. The PUP configuration is all wrong but at least I hunted it out and am gonna try and get the thing back to its former glory. Will sand it down first I think and see where to go after that.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='474707' date='Apr 29 2009, 12:04 AM']Tell your drummer to get his new heads fitted!!!!

D.[/quote]

Lol! I think he has already. He turned up with the ones from his gigging kit to fit to his practice kit last night :)

• 4 weeks later...

a proper wood glue is going to be a much better choice than superglue

Titebond is what I use, both for repairs and for building instruments.

[url="http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22581"]http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22581[/url]