Why become a member? ×

Where can I get one of these?

john_the_bass

I'm looking for a few of these:

very specifically, not one of these

The top one was made by GYC and distributed in the UK by JHS - it has a much shorter piece in between the two jacks than the bottom one and allows you to connect two pedals closer together. Has anybody seen them hanging up in their local music shop or come across anything identical? According to JHS they are now discontinued, but I would like to try and get my hands on 3 or 4 of them.

There's a thread about this called 'pedal couplers' or something if you search :)

I think the EBS ones might be slightly wider than that, but definitely not as wide as the wide ones. The 'crank' style ones you can get are also pretty good for getting pedals close together. But they won't be straight, due to the crank design.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='474542' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:09 PM']A bit ungelpful, but you could make one. OR go down to your local eletrical supplier (like maplins) and they should have some[/quote]
Maplins seem to have cut down on their useful stuff in the last couple of years. They do standard jacks and XLRs, but nothing like that anymore.

They seem to have moved into Tandy's old territory, and are majoring on radio control, budget audio, budget PA, computers etc.

I have some of the Planet Waves version of these but stopped using them.

I find the problem with these straight adaptors is they don't work between pedals from different manufacturers as the jack sockets are subtly different heights between makes, so you can get pedals being slightly up in the air etc. When you go stomping on a pedal you end up straining jack sockets, and on most mass produced stuff (EHX, MXR, Boss, Ibanez etc) these are connected to the PCB and potentially will damage it.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='482837' date='May 8 2009, 12:00 PM']I want some to connect up some Boss pedals, so they'd be ideal. Unfortunately, the email I sent to GB has gone unanswered or ended up in a spam folder somewhere.[/quote]

I'd never email them tbh, always call! Never get a reply to emails! :)

Jake

<smug mode>

Sorry I'm late to this thread. But do you mean something a little incy wincy bit like this:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/cougar-dl-1-jack-to-jack-connector-697-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/cougar-...ector-697-p.asp[/url]

</smug mode>

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='474129' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:27 PM']I'm looking for a few of these:

very specifically, not one of these

The top one was made by GYC and distributed in the UK by JHS - it has a much shorter piece in between the two jacks than the bottom one and allows you to connect two pedals closer together. Has anybody seen them hanging up in their local music shop or come across anything identical? According to JHS they are now discontinued, but I would like to try and get my hands on 3 or 4 of them.[/quote]

Recently I saw several of these types of connectors online through a company called Thomann. I believe they offer several versions, including ones that can connect up different brand pedals where input/output jacks are of different heights when sitting on a pedalboard.

I think they may be a Danish or German company and will take email orders, but bear in mind you may need to add VAT and postage to the price. Good luck!

Thomann's ones aren't that small. Their crank ones are I think, as I mentioned earlier, but no use if you want to connect up say two Boss pedals in line with each other.

LowBlow has the winner to end this ongoing saga with that link I think! :)

[quote]<smug mode>

Sorry I'm late to this thread. But do you mean something a little incy wincy bit like this:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/cougar-...ector-697-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/cougar-...ector-697-p.asp[/url]

</smug mode>[/quote]teehehee, I've just gone and bought one of them - £5.... oomph. I'm going to feel that one later

[quote name='Finbar' post='488062' date='May 14 2009, 04:42 PM']LowBlow has the winner to end this ongoing saga! :)[/quote]I've gotta sig that! :rolleyes:

[quote name='iamapirate' post='488152' date='May 14 2009, 06:39 PM']teehehee, I've just gone and bought one of them - £5.... oomph. I'm going to feel that one later[/quote]£2.99, no? Or is that postage? You need to buy a few then cos it says it's free over twenty squid!

yeah, it was £5 inc postage.
TBH, though, now that I have it, it doesn't save any space at all. The width is the same width as a normal right angled jack connecter and the 2 pedals have to have the same height of jack or it kida goes off-balance. I'll still use it for Boss TU-2 to ODB-3

[quote name='iamapirate' post='493172' date='May 20 2009, 12:22 PM']yeah, it was £5 inc postage.
TBH, though, now that I have it, it doesn't save any space at all. The width is the same width as a normal right angled jack connecter and the 2 pedals have to have the same height of jack or it kida goes off-balance. I'll still use it for Boss TU-2 to ODB-3[/quote]Yes, the straight adaptors are only for pedals of the same make (where the input and output sockets are at the same height). You can connect pedals of different makes if you use one of the offset types, by the OP didn't want those.

• 4 weeks later...

I never ever got a response to my email to GB, nor did they answer their phone or respond to my answering machine message, so they can bugger off as far as I'm concerned.

I think the best place to get them is that effects power supplies and I will be ordering some in the morning when I can be arsed to go downstairs and pick up my wallet off the top of the fridge :)
I have a couple of the longer type installed at the moment to see if I get a more reliable connection that the George L's I have been using, but the longer type mean the set up takes up ever so slightly more room than would allow for an extra pedal on my board, so will be switching them and adding a delay.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='516999' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:51 PM']I never ever got a response to my email to GB, nor did they answer their phone or respond to my answering machine message, so they can bugger off as far as I'm concerned.

I think the best place to get them is that effects power supplies and I will be ordering some in the morning when I can be arsed to go downstairs and pick up my wallet off the top of the fridge :)
I have a couple of the longer type installed at the moment to see if I get a more reliable connection that the George L's I have been using, but the longer type mean the set up takes up ever so slightly more room than would allow for an extra pedal on my board, so will be switching them and adding a delay.[/quote]

If you haven't bought the ones from EPS yet, you could also check out the gold-plated ones that EBS make. Same size and a nice tight connection, available through the Bass Gallery in Camden. However, they're around £10 each.....