Why become a member? ×

Letts Bass

TheGreek

Hey folks. Just to keep everyone in the loop, Jon Letts emailed this morning and agreed to accept and adhere to a proposal for a bass. Not a demand for a Stradivarius or anything over what I'm owed, but not a cheap option to get him off the hook either. 

Now, I know that a lot of folk will be hanging their heads and saying "he's f**kin' mad" , and the Stockholm Syndrome comment did make me laugh!🤣

All I can say out in the open just now is even though it may not look like it, there's a definite method to this madness, having weighed all the factors both past and present and knowing exactly how this could have ended up. And when this finally has ended, I will break things down in detail on these boards. I've no doubt most of you will agree with this action once it is all done and dusted. 

Just stick with me and trust me here, guys. No matter what happens, it's going to be worth it.😉

And thanks to you all for the support, between here and TB, it really has lifted my state of mind very much. It's easy to get caught in a loop of expecting the bad and being surprised at the good. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Eddie, you're obviously a far more patient man than I (and I do mean that as a compliment). All I can say is that I hope it works out for you. Given what you've just said, my instinct would be to close the thread for now and await further developments -- as I said, it can always be reopened if you wish. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Rich locked this topic
  • Rich unlocked this topic

So folks, as promised some updates. 
As I previously mentioned, Jon had agreed to make the bass I wanted to my specs. After a bit of back and forward and faffing around it was clarified that this needs to be completed within a reasonable timescale, so all of the details were sorted, and the wood has arrived.

image_67161601.thumb.jpeg.77891cf2e4184edf58c0157f7af2b10a.jpegimage_50405121.thumb.jpeg.4a7d1d14bb5e325bb44f22a7cab64373.jpeg

It's going to be a neck-through singlecut 5-string, 33" scale, ash wings with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.

Jon is glueing the neck blank up over the next couple of days, and it's early days but I hope this is the start of regular updates I can make on this project. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, EddieG said:

So folks, as promised some updates. 
As I previously mentioned, Jon had agreed to make the bass I wanted to my specs. After a bit of back and forward and faffing around it was clarified that this needs to be completed within a reasonable timescale, so all of the details were sorted, and the wood has arrived.

image_67161601.thumb.jpeg.77891cf2e4184edf58c0157f7af2b10a.jpegimage_50405121.thumb.jpeg.4a7d1d14bb5e325bb44f22a7cab64373.jpeg

It's going to be a neck-through singlecut 5-string, 33" scale, ash wings with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard.

Jon is glueing the neck blank up over the next couple of days, and it's early days but I hope this is the start of regular updates I can make on this project. 

Really good to see.

I appreciate he's been through it a bit, but hasn't helped himself either. He very much seems to have found his mojo more recently however, and he really love his little single cuts he's doing.

What kinda single cut shape are you going for, a scaled up version of the little ones?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, eude said:

Really good to see.

I appreciate he's been through it a bit, but hasn't helped himself either. He very much seems to have found his mojo more recently however, and he really love his little single cuts he's doing.

What kinda single cut shape are you going for, a scaled up version of the little ones?

I'm going to wait and unveil it when it's done.😉

But like you, I hope this is Jon "screwing the nut" as we say in Scotland, and improving the way he conducts his business as well as his luthiery. 

• Like 2