Why become a member? ×

Sterling (musician) Ray 35, Koa.opinions?

evan47

I am looking for opinions on the Sterling stingray 35 bass.

One has come up for sale locally for £650 and looks the business.

Has anyone here got or tried one?

It has a Koa body and rosewood fretboard.

I am thinking of treating myself to something this weekend and am thinking of either this, the Bacchus jazz bass or BOSS WAZA Air.

I now have a pair of these. An older Ray35 with the headstock that says that and a vintage sunburst with a roasted maple neck that says Stingray5 on the headstock. 

Both excellent basses imo. I've owned a few Stingray 5s in the past and these Ray35s are close enough to make me feel I'm not missing out. What gets me is that the s/h USA prices have pretty much doubled from when I last owned a full fat one.

Used Ray 35 prices are do-able but the prices new are a now a bit crazy though. 

Screenshot_20230312_201741_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0966e596cf2179f81c5da49af8d27e5e.jpg

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 2

I played a Ray 34 through a Mark Bass combo in a shop last week - actually to try out a compressor and to use something approximating to my basses/amp etc 

I was highly impressed - great sound, lovely blue sparkle finish, roasted maple neck and reasonably light - very very impressed with the bass - did the Bernard Edwards/ Flea thing (Funky Monks) v authentically. 

Not koa though - I’m guessing they may sound a little darker. 

Edited by drTStingray