Why become a member? ×

Battery compartment

Piff

I have a Peavey "Sarzo signature" bass . The clip fastening for the plastic battery compartment on the back has broken off so that the cover won't stay on and the battery is left dangling on the end of the wire! I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. All the electric bass battery compartments offered on ebay seem to be the wrong shape: too wide sideways and too narrow from top to bottom. Any ideas where I could source a battery compartment for a Peavey? 

Depending on age, Peavey may be able to help. Other than that, you may be forced to keep looking at eBay until somebody offers a used part. If the demand becomes high enough, at some point, somebody will create a 3D printed part.

In the meantime, I'd suggest velcro to keep the battery in place.

OK as was suggested in the response to my original post, I am attaching a photo showing the open battery compartment on the back of the bass, the original cover (which has lost the clip to attach itself) next to it, and next to that is the only kind of battery compartment lids that seem to be available on ebay. (I have ordered two now from separate sellers, and they are both exactly the same). The distance between the screw-holes in the original is 4 cm by 3 cm whereas the distance between screw holes in the replacement is 6 1/2 cm by 3 cm.

IMG_0315.jpg

There's a thread in The Other Place about a similar issue - it seems you can't get old spares from Peavey but there was quite a good idea on an alternative cover. I suspect that part of the problem with finding a replacement is that it's not really a box, it's just a cover with a fixed frame and removable lid, which is fairly unusual. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/replace-peavey-tl-five-battery-compartment.1549341/

Come to think of it, another alternative would be to get small neodynium magnets and recess them into the outer frame in those circles just outboard of the screws, and glue some thin steel (not stainless) washers to the cover.

• Like 1