Why become a member? ×

Fender CS62 Pbass Pups

BassAdder60

Hi 

any views of the Fender Custom Shop 62 Pbass pickup ? 

Is it an upgrade from a Player Series Pbass pickup ?

Looking for better clarity playing finger style 

I’ve recently dropped the Dimarzio Pbass into one of my basses and change was dramatic ( loads more mids and hot output ) 

For my other Pbass I’m looking for something good as an all rounder 

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

A big improvement imo, a much fuller all round sound. 

That’s good to hear 👍

I love the Dimarzio sound although a bit too strong in the mids 

I was a little worried the CS62 would sound a little dark as they do indicate reduced mids 

Without knowing the mids comparison to the stock player series it’s tough to know if I will improve the sound.

Im not lacking in mids just clarity especially finger style 

58 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

In terms of sound/eq there’s not that much difference, it’s more real coffee/decaf for want of a better description. Similar but just richer and more.

Hopefully not less mids compared to the stock pups ?

12 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Hopefully not less mids compared to the stock pups ?

Probably more lower mids, where the Player seems toppier to me. Our producer said there was a lot around the 400 mark, and this is the area which I tend to scoop a fair bit.

41 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Probably more lower mids, where the Player seems toppier to me. Our producer said there was a lot around the 400 mark, and this is the area which I tend to scoop a fair bit.

Thank you 

They will be fitted today so I will see how they sound 

As a returning finger player I need the low mids so I think they will be fine 

Fitted the CS 62 and they are very nice sounding pickups 

Where I hear an improvement is the clarity of the low end and a less harsh tone 

It’s got less output than say a Dimarzio PBass which isn’t a problem but I think it’s a noticeable upgrade to Player Series stock pups 

I like the copper shield base that comes with them too 

Definitely recommend for all genres 

• Like 2

I'd like to add a question to this topic as I'm yet to find a definite answer. I'm almost tempted to reach out to Fender and do the test myself:

I want to hear clean recordings of the CS62 and Pure Vintage 62 (otherwise known at the Original). I'm trying to identify the non-standard pickup in my 76 Precision and, although that's nigh on impossible visually I am trying to get close tonally for another bass of a very similar specification. 

1 hour ago, Dood said:

I'd like to add a question to this topic as I'm yet to find a definite answer. I'm almost tempted to reach out to Fender and do the test myself:

I want to hear clean recordings of the CS62 and Pure Vintage 62 (otherwise known at the Original). I'm trying to identify the non-standard pickup in my 76 Precision and, although that's nigh on impossible visually I am trying to get close tonally for another bass of a very similar specification. 

I've sent Fender an email too.

2 hours ago, KK Jale said:

Thank you for posting, I'v listened to this one a few times on big ole monitors. The differences with this set up are very subtle, I'd love to hear the dry stems minus the drums, but this does kinda suggest that in the mix there's less to worry about!

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

My thoughts re the CS62 v the Original is that the CS has more in the low-mids whereas the Original has a spike in the hi-mids.

Thank you, that's interesting. My 76 P bass definitely has something 'chewy' going on in the lows with a real sweetness to the very top end. Hard to explain but my P bass with a GZR P in it seems to have a spike in the top end in comparison. 

Ok so the CS62 pups sound absolutely gorgeous and an improvement over the Player Series stock in clarity however …..

Im going to take them out and stick Dimarzio PBass back in ( both of my basses ) as they have a very rocky tone played through the CTM100 

They punch through better in the band and offer a rougher nasty growl great for rock with a valve amp. 

Granted they need to be tamed and the pole pieces lowered as it’s a mega hot pickup but it brings out the tone, less low end more mids and growl a plenty 

For less rockier needs the CS62 would be a perfect fit. 

• Like 1