Why become a member? ×

Bartolini preamp not working in active mode

sirpinno

I bought a bartolini preamp 3 band for my jackson five string bass cmj 5. It has been installed but the Luthier says no sound comes from it when he engages the active mode. He has changed pots, including the push pull, the jack too but nothing has worked. He thinks it's the module, but surely if the module is the problem then there would be no sound at all? any ideas?

8 hours ago, geoham said:

You'll probably find that when it's in passive mode, that the pre-amp module is entirely bypassed - hence why it works.

Exactly right. The diagrams for Bart preamps are readily available from their website and that is exactly how the passive option works. I've installed a couple in the past.

23 hours ago, geoham said:

You'll probably find that when it's in passive mode, that the pre-amp module is entirely bypassed - hence why it works.

Assuming things are installed correctly, it appears that everything else has been changed, so a faulty preamp module seems all that remains.

Thank you both for your replies. Is there any possible solution to the module issue please?

14 minutes ago, sirpinno said:

Thank you both for your replies. Is there any possible solution to the module issue please?

Other than buying a new one, not really.

They are sealed units so no user replaceable parts.

You could contact Bartolini or wherever you bought it from and see if you can get a replacement.

Was it new? If so request a replacement as it's faulty. 

I assume your guitar tech has confirmed a supply, 9v, is getting to the module when the Jack is inserted? A lack of power would cause the symptoms you describe.

On 17/02/2023 at 09:37, BassBunny said:

Other than buying a new one, not really.

They are sealed units so no user replaceable parts.

You could contact Bartolini or wherever you bought it from and see if you can get a replacement.

Was it new? If so request a replacement as it's faulty. 

I assume your guitar tech has confirmed a supply, 9v, is getting to the module when the Jack is inserted? A lack of power would cause the symptoms you describe.

he said he changed the jack and everything including the push pull active/passive pot but nothing worked. Unfortunately I got it off reverb and it took some weeks before my tech back back from his holiday to work on it so I doubt the seller would want to do anything about it.

On 20/02/2023 at 14:09, sirpinno said:

he said he changed the jack and everything including the push pull active/passive pot but nothing worked. Unfortunately I got it off reverb and it took some weeks before my tech back back from his holiday to work on it so I doubt the seller would want to do anything about it.

If it was me, I'd try to have a check over the installation myself - in particular that the module is receiving power. Installation diagrams should be easy to find online, and not too difficult to follow. Checking the power would require a multi-meter. You can get a basic one from Amazon for a tenner if you don't have one - it's a really useful tool. Alternatively, you could have another tech or someone knowledgeable help you. It's not my intention to cast undue doubt on your tech's abilities... I just know from experience that an extra set of eyes can be useful.

Good luck!

George

2 hours ago, geoham said:

If it was me, I'd try to have a check over the installation myself - in particular that the module is receiving power. Installation diagrams should be easy to find online, and not too difficult to follow. Checking the power would require a multi-meter. You can get a basic one from Amazon for a tenner if you don't have one - it's a really useful tool. Alternatively, you could have another tech or someone knowledgeable help you. It's not my intention to cast undue doubt on your tech's abilities... I just know from experience that an extra set of eyes can be useful.

Good luck!

George

Good idea. There might be a BassChatter nearby that can help.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. Honestly I don't know much about his ability other than that he's with PMT. I've never had work done on a bass before, I'm only relying on the fact that he works with PMT and I'm trusting (blindly) that they would not be working with someone who does not know what they're doing. I'm new to bass modifications myself so I would not know the first thing to look out for. I have gotten a few tools though, soldering etc, and I'll be getting one or two dirty cheap basses I can learn on with some tutorials. Thanks again for your input on this.