Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray Pickup Placement

Owen

Hi all, I am in the process of turning my US MMSUB5 into a Bongo. I am trying to get the scratchplate proportions correct for a twin pickup. I am looking at various pictures of Stingrays and thinking "eh?". There seems to be some variation in pickup placement and the gap between bridge and scratchplate. Below are two pictures I have stolen off the internet. Am I missing something or is the whole thing open to self expression?

ku9vqliacdkjjnmikgmb.webp

Ernie-Ball-Music-Man-BFR-Stingray-Special-Passive-Bass-1200x420.jpg

You putting the neck humbucker where Musicman has it? I always thought it didn't leave much of a space between the pickup and edge of fingerboard. It was my main criticism of both Bongo HH and HS models I've owned in the past.

I always liked the Corvette $$ spacing but guess you're going to have a narrower variation of tone with the pickups closer together. 

Thanks all. Earlpilanz on Ebay will make me a scratchplate. I am (someone else is for me) mocking up a Stingray scratchplate and stretching it to get the Bongo bridge placement correct (extra 18mm if anyone is interested). I am fine with not much space between the neck pickup and the fingerboard because I will NEVER EVER slap in anger. And if I ever find the need to, then I have......(the shame)..... several other basses which will cover that.