Why become a member? ×

1980 Traynor TS120-B and Traynor 1x15 cab

greentext

I was lucky enough to get my hands on this little beauty from Facebook sales about 3 years ago for £50! For both! Having been a massive Jesus Lizard and Shellac fan (Bob Weston is the boss) for many many years, I couldn't believe my luck! 

Both dated 1980, the original 120watt speaker was blown when I bought it but I still have it get reconed, I enquired at the time and it was stupidly expensive, so ive shelved that project for another time. I used it a number of times in the studio and practice but I don't really feel comfortable taking it out live given how much of a rare beast it is. 

I've seen a fair few Traynor TS-50B's but ive never seen another TS-120B, has anyone else had any experience with one? From my understanding, and that of Essex Amp Repairs, its the same preamp as the TS-50B but has more power and an EQ. The lads at Essex Amp Repairs absolutely loved it and asked if I could leave it with them!

799074888_1980Traynor.thumb.jpg.8eb4cfeeb74e9a858e0b620b0dafbc78.jpg

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, greentext said:

From memory built to revival the Ampeg's when Canada was no longer importing them?

They were actually Canada's Fender. They were fairly popular as a less expensive alternative to Fender back in the 60s-70s, especially in the states that bordered Ontario and Quebec. I bet thousands made the trip across the bridge that connects Windsor, Ontario with Detroit. Back in the day crossing the border entailed not much more than a wave at the agents, and no one paid much attention to what was in your car.

• Like 1

My local musical instrument shop in the 70s was a Traynor dealer. Since they mostly sold "home organs" along with a few Grant and Kimbara badged copy guitars and basses, I never saw the brand as anything to get excited about back then as I lumped them in with all the other low budget crap they were selling. Besides back then in the UK everyone wanted a Marshall or an Acoustic 360. However my band at the time would hire one of their 6-channel (valve?) mixer amps for a few days whenever we were recording which worked well enough I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I never saw the brand as anything to get excited about back then as I lumped them in with all the other low budget crap they were selling.

They were a bit of an underdog amp and still are. But I think they have acquired a bit of a cult following as being used by the bassists from Shellac and The Jesus Lizard who have very abrasive punchy bass tones that are easily identifiable as a Traynor solid state amp. Steve Albini of Electric Audio in Chicago (also plays in Shellac, Big Black, total noise rock wizard) uses them a lot as a staple of his bass sounds he achieves in the studio. I'm not saying they are a good amp, but the reason I got it, was for my love for those albums and wanting to create that sound, which it does perfectly, but thats the only thing it does for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great rig!

This takes me back to 1977 when I bought a used Traynor 1 x 15 to replace a home-made 1 x 18 which had a white bed sheet cut up for the speaker cloth!

I seem to think my Traynor had a silver cloth front....but can’t be sure. However, the sound was fantastic!

Fond memories.

31 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

This takes me back to 1977 when I bought a used Traynor 1 x 15 to replace a home-made 1 x 18 which had a white bed sheet cut up for the speaker cloth!

I seem to think my Traynor had a silver cloth front....but can’t be sure. However, the sound was fantastic!

ahaha great to hear about the homemade cab! 

yh i love this era of solid state Traynor amps, such a great sound for the money