Why become a member? ×

Jad Freer Capo

EmmettC

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

That’s correct! It’ll also be included before the 1/4 jack output too.

There is a switch on the side to bind the fx loop so that it’s only applied when the A side is active. I’ve accidentally enabled that a few times then been left scratching my head for longer than I’d care to admit! 😂

That’s great info thanks!

I love the Origin, it does an incredible job of emulating tube saturation and that compression and lag that I love but it’s missing the sheer functionality of the Capo which has made me want to bite the bullet. Love the idea of the additional drive capability as well, Will be an interesting comparison! 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Got mine last week. It fills in the gaps of the Origin Black Panel with some of its features, including the post pre loop which I wish the Origin had. 

Both sound great but in different ways, the Black Panel is tube-like and has a pillowy compression to it which is undeniably great for vintage tones, and the Capo is more direct, faster transients and the added gain stage on the B side is really useful. The ability to sculpt the mid frequencies is something the Black Panel lacks somewhat with it being more a Fender tone stack, again just very different tonally. 

It’s probably a bit mad to have both but I’d struggle to choose between them. Everything runs into the Capo on the board apart from the Cali which is last and goes into the post effects loop. 

I played a Noble a few weeks back, great piece of kit but really there wouldn’t be much I couldn’t get out of this combo now and not widely dissimilar tones. 

03DDA300-7322-4491-907F-046CC0B133FC.jpeg

Edited by risingson
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, risingson said:

Got mine last week. It fills in the gaps of the Origin Black Panel with some of its features, including the post pre loop which I wish the Origin had. 

Both sound great but in different ways, the Black Panel is tube-like and has a pillowy compression to it which is undeniably great for vintage tones, and the Capo is more direct, faster transients and the added gain stage on the B side is really useful. The ability to sculpt the mid frequencies is something the Black Panel lacks somewhat with it being more a Fender tone stack, again just very different tonally. 

It’s probably a bit mad to have both but I’d struggle to choose between them. Everything runs into the Capo on the board apart from the Cali which is last and goes into the post effects loop. 

I played a Noble a few weeks back, great piece of kit but really there wouldn’t be much I couldn’t get out of this combo now and not widely dissimilar tones. 

03DDA300-7322-4491-907F-046CC0B133FC.jpeg

That looks like an excellent setup! Would love to try the bassrig at some point but it’s hard to justify another getting a new preamp when I have a capo!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

That looks like an excellent setup! Would love to try the bassrig at some point but it’s hard to justify another getting a new preamp when I have a capo!

There’s a really good video comparing the Bassrig ‘64 and the Capo - I’m gonna look for it actually and post it up**, it kinda shows that the Capo can do what the Bassrig does plus a load of other stuff besides. Bassrig still comes out looking good but it really shows what a good bit of kit the Capo is 

**Here it is:

Edited by Paddy777
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

There’s a really good video comparing the Bassrig ‘64 and the Capo - I’m gonna look for it actually and post it up**, it kinda shows that the Capo can do what the Bassrig does plus a load of other stuff besides. Bassrig still comes out looking good but it really shows what a good bit of kit the Capo is 

**Here it is:

Ahhhh yeah I watched this about 10 times when trying to decide if I should order the Capo. Great demo.

I think the thing that sold me in the end was a mix of this and seeing it used for lots of more aggressive tones too. So much versatility.

I do wish the B side had a little more of the valve-like compression going. It’s the one thing it doesn’t really have that I love about some other preamps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick question fellas: do you find yourself needing a compressor less and less since you've got the capo? Is there some natural compression going on in there?

I use my compressor always as tone enhancer and not a limiter as my string/hands are fairly even and I use a pick most times, but I feel like my Lusithand Alma does less and less since I've got the Capo.

I'm making a pedalboard with the Capo, tuner, distortion and fuzz (new MBD and Moose Nomad which are both on the bigger side), and I'm considering maybe a chorus would be best to fit in a Nano+. I just wanted to check how it goes for y'all since I was evaluating whether I need a compressor at all.

No, I won't take the suggestion of 'get a bigger board' cause I end up with 4 more pedals to make it tight when all I may need is a chorus 😁

Ander.

2 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Quick question fellas: do you find yourself needing a compressor less and less since you've got the capo? Is there some natural compression going on in there?

I use my compressor always as tone enhancer and not a limiter as my string/hands are fairly even and I use a pick most times, but I feel like my Lusithand Alma does less and less since I've got the Capo.

I'm making a pedalboard with the Capo, tuner, distortion and fuzz (new MBD and Moose Nomad which are both on the bigger side), and I'm considering maybe a chorus would be best to fit in a Nano+. I just wanted to check how it goes for y'all since I was evaluating whether I need a compressor at all.

No, I won't take the suggestion of 'get a bigger board' cause I end up with 4 more pedals to make it tight when all I may need is a chorus 😁

Ander.

I’ve not played with mine for a bit but I’d say yes there is some compression going on, very very light. I’ve struggled with my raw sound and my sound with a compressor. Goldilocks, one is not enough and one too much. The Capo was just right, about the same sort of compression I get from good A/D conversion (not saying it’s doing this) but just that really light something is going on.

If you’re using it for tone and not finding you need it then you can ditch it on the board. But I often think we just find different is better (for a while) so play with just the capo and in 6 months add the compressor back on and wonder how you ever lived without it, then 6 months later remove it and marvel at how open and wide your tone sounds and wonder why you ever had that compressor on your board in the first place, lather, rinse, repeat

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

yes there is some compression going on, very very light.

20 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

The Capo was just right, about the same sort of compression I get from good A/D conversion (not saying it’s doing this) but just that really light something is going on.

Right, I'm not going crazy!

19 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

Also buy a D’addario XPND and stop worrying 😂

But the missus would if I do lol!

Thanks for that comment, it does make sense - I don't find sound enhancing from comps since I've got the capo - I will try more thoroughly, but if not significant, I may well put the Comp on sale and get a chorus for that 😇

Na definitely a subtle compression going on, I have so much clean blended in on my Alma comp it mat as well not be there.

I think between the Capo, drive pedals and valve amp there’s a whole lot of squish and saturation happening that really make it a little redundant.

The only reason I’ve still got it there really is that it seems to help with octave tracking. 

Just now, MrDinsdale said:

Na definitely a subtle compression going on, I have so much clean blended in on my Alma comp it mat as well not be there.

I think between the Capo, drive pedals and valve amp there’s a whole lot of squish and saturation happening that really make it a little redundant.

The only reason I’ve still got it there really is that it seems to help with octave tracking. 

Thanks Joe!! Good to know I'm not alone and you've the same compressor which is a really good one tbh!

I'm only planning to use octave up from the fuzz so I think this is inviting me to swap a compressor for a chorus.... Ooopssie!

Ander. 

5 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

I have Zoom multi fx’s to scratch the itch of things I want or think I want. I’d suggest you look at the HX One, it’ll do your chorus for now and your comp when you change your mind in the future.

I knew NOTHING about that HX One...! Assuming Moose Nomad same size as MBD, and my harley benton tuner is smaller than the polytune I think... Things would be dangerously tight but..... but.....!!!

Screenshot2024-01-23at17_02_16.thumb.png.452eeb8e3965333e2256d8d2e95ef5b5.png

Hello everyone! I've a CAPO on the way and have been planning and researching how I will route my board. My question is; is there a way for me to hook up the CAPO in the stomp so I have my modulations after and still out from the CAPO to FoH?

Here's how my board will look like:

image.thumb.png.644b3d9db55176958e193a0ebf085949.png

Thanks in advance! 2 and a half weeks left can't wait!

• Like 1

I'd personally just hook up the HX stomp on the post effects loop - then anything else on the pre effects loop of the Capo, and the bass straight to input.

That way you can take the unaltered clean bass DI out from the capo, and the processed one to from the other post DI, from Capo too.

@Chadu25 This is how mines wired up to the GT1000core. You could do the same with the stomp.

IMG_5996.thumb.png.b74967fb59d86fcaeb7152fc23c1614c.png
I know it looks pretty crazy but it means you can go into the Capo to keep the Pre DI totally clear while also letting me move my analog pedals in GT loop 1 and the preamp portion of the Capo in GT loop 2 freely. The output of the GT is then passed back to the Capo post loop return and then sent via post DI to FOH and/or my amp.

I also have the option to run the other stereo out of the GT straight to my amp and run a cab sim on the output to FOH too although yet to find a need for that with the Capo. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

@Chadu25 This is how mines wired up to the GT1000core. You could do the same with the stomp.

IMG_5996.thumb.png.b74967fb59d86fcaeb7152fc23c1614c.png
I know it looks pretty crazy but it means you can go into the Capo to keep the Pre DI totally clear while also letting me move my analog pedals in GT loop 1 and the preamp portion of the Capo in GT loop 2 freely. The output of the GT is then passed back to the Capo post loop return and then sent via post DI to FOH and/or my amp.

I also have the option to run the other stereo out of the GT straight to my amp and run a cab sim on the output to FOH too although yet to find a need for that with the Capo. 

And in this case you can move the fx loop any where in the chain on the helix which gives you a lot more flexibility.

Also if you can get an XPND or Nano+ so your pedals aren’t sideways I’d greatly appreciate that 🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1