Why become a member? ×

Learning to Play through the Pain of Arthritis--Anybody Else?

ChWillie

I've suffered with Osteo Arthritis in multiple joints for more than 10 years, but am still managing to gig. However I am not as fast as I was, and really struggle on faster numbers, some of which I now only play at half tempo. Happily my band do not insist on every line being played exactly as the original, provided the Key riffs are good - we do take some artistic licence! 

I switched to 30" Short Scale  basses (Fender SS Jazz and Mustang) and class D amps. 

I find it important to keep warm although the first couple of songs always hurt my hands, it does help to do warm up finger exercises before going on. Sometimes my fingers are hurting really badly whilst playing, and I wonder if I will be able to continue, but if I play though it so far it has always eased as I continue, although my fingers do become a little numb. The following day I am always very stiff and sore, and find I have to relax the days before and the day after every gig. 

It's not just the hands though - my shoulders and spine hurt too. I use a good wide strap, and try to move around on stage to keep mobile, though there isn't always room to do so!

We are a Function Band, and often have a lot of hanging around before and between sets. Occasionally I will take pain killers if I feel really sore, but usually the adrenalin will get me through    

Both Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood have very arthritic hands but it doesn't stop them playing stadiums, and I take some comfort from their lead   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2pods said:

@TheGreek

That looks like the legendary "Braeside Fighting Hand" positions

:ph34r:

:laugh1:

There's no way that you could ever have known this but I lived in Greenock many years ago. 

The street? Braeside.

Amazing but true. Cosmic or coincidence?

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TheGreek said:

There's no way that you could ever have known this but I lived in Greenock many years ago. 

The street? Braeside.

Amazing but true. Cosmic or coincidence?

I remember you saying when we were discussing a "Funkmaster" bass.

I live in nearby Gourock.

We tend to have death grip like hand exercises 🤣

The other thing to remember, is to make sure your hands are warmed up before attempting any of the exercises, or you could end up doing more damage than good.  It's also worth taking any pain relief (if you're on any) about 20 minutes before your work out. I've found that helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have rheumatoid arthritis and even though it's in remission the damage it did originally to my right wrist means the bones are fusing together as the fluid sack leaked and the bones rub together. My right thumb and first finger have no feeling at the tips meaning I cannot hold a plectrum. I use a short scale bass which helps and try to keep the joint moving instead of not using it. You have to just carry on. Using the affected joints won't make them worse. 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I play guitar as much as I play bass, and picks became impossible to use. I play with my fingers a lot, but I have found Black Mountain thumb picks help me a a lot.  And I wear a brace to stabilize my thumb, take it off when I play.  With a thumb pick, I can play decently again. At first, I didn’t get on with the Black Mountains. Now, I get on well with them. 

• Thanks 1

Another one here…

Both knees, but I’m struggling with both shoulders and a hip too. I’m feeling very old. I’ve been fit (“a matter of opinion” - Mrs Rayman) all my life, but now in my late 50s, I’m falling apart. Just standing up for the duration of a rehearsal or gig is very uncomfortable now.

I’m trying lighter basses, shortscale and playing with the bass lower on the strap to make life easier.