Why become a member? ×

1 fret don't work..g15

Aaron Davis

Ok I'm new here so hello I'm Aaron,been a bass player for 30 years...well in that 30 years I've NEVER encountered  this issue and I'm looking for some help so here we go....I have this old late 70s early 80s Japanese Pbass I've had it for years,we'll not knowing what I really had I butchered the stock neck in an attempt to learn how to refret a neck I ruined the o.g. neck..SO I searched and searched for a Japanese vintage neck..which I found so I put it on my bass body with some heavy duty screws that aren't really for a bass but work just as well ..they came in this wood working kit thing anyways the issue is  ONE FRET DONT WORK..fret 15 just don't work right ..I can get it to work but normal fingerings it gets super buzzy while all the other frets work just fine....I've filed and tapped the frets with a rubber malet..didn't work,the bolts aren't going through the fret board checked that too frets 14 and 16 work just fine fret 15 on all strings work fine but the G string fret 15 super buzzy..can't figure it out for tge life of me ,I've even removed the bolt that's near that fret..any advice  lady's and gents?

What is this 15th fret you speak of and how do I access it?

Do I have to defeat some end of level boss to be able to see it? 

In all seriousness have you checked how it is height wise compared to the other frets? Is the profile the same as the others?

Edited by Bassybert
  • Haha 4

As others said level and fret dress. Check neck is where it should be as you replaced it it might be at the wrong angle and need shimming.

Its not rocket science as they say

Its more difficult than that. Wood moves.