Why become a member? ×

Modern music.

DTB

The radio industry lives by playing music that the target audience wants.  And that yields a play list based on 'music of your life': the music most of us love is what was around when we were in our early to mid teens, cored on the age 14. So when you're designing a radio station you come up with your target age group (say 25-55). You then work back to when they were 14 (11-31 years ago) and play music from then.  Works for me.  I was 14 in '68 and I just love music from round then - a bit earlier to a bit later. But that doesn't mean quality stopped then. I'm hearing some great stuff (bass and sax) from the yoof of today, and respect it. I had a friend much older than me who used to rant on about good music stopped in 1949.  My old dad thought good music stopped with Bach.      

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

OK I'll be 65 in a few days. Do you chaps have I guess you would call it, "University Radio Stations"? We call it "college radio". Small radio stations dj'd by students. That's where I hear stuff that's...refreshing. I only listen in the car. Otherwise I can't sit still.  

Me and you are very similar ages. Well done sir! A great attitude to new music. I’m raising my glass of Famous Grouse to you as I type this. Well, not exactly at the same time. Us seniors have to be careful. 😆

On 27/01/2023 at 09:35, cetera said:

IMHO, the essential ingredient missing from much of mainstream modern pop music is 'Songs'.

Id go a step further. Whats missing is happiness...optimisim if you like. Listen to chart pop from 70s thru late 80's, in my opinion the heyday of great "pop"   so much happy sounding uplifting music. Yes ok I sound like a dork but the proof is out there.