Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5F fretless bass & case -STILL FOR SALE

slingo

Rare opportunity to buy this beautiful fretless bass. This bass just growls and is just gorgeous to behold, finished in charcoal black with the transparent high gloss finish allowing the grain to show through. Bolt on 35" scale neck is maple with fret-lined rosewood fingerboard. It is fitted with 3 band EQ, bass and treble boost/cut, 3 way mid selectable mid switch, master volume and pickup pan, and Yamaha's own brilliant active hum-cancelling bass humbucker pickups. Machine heads and bridge are gold-plated.

NB There is one tiny little ding underneath (i.e. the bit that would rest on your knee if you were sitting down to play). Its about 1mm square, if that. Apart from that it is in mint condition.

Supplied in fitted plush-lined Yamaha hard case. The case alone currently retails for £110. There are a few minor marks and cuts on the case as you would expect with general wear and tear.

This is a very reluctant sale but it's not being used so has to go to a good home. More photos available on request.

Please note this is the superior series one Japanese bass not the series two or the Korean TRB 1005

Serious offers please £400 ono

Edited by slingo

Thanks for pointing out my omission there!

I've edited it now but its the series 1 which I'm told is superior to the series 2 which morphed into the TRB1005. You can tell by the sculpted body which wasn't done on the series 2 (except the John Pattitucci model).

Must be poor photo because they're deffo not uneven. It's hardly been used actually, as my attempt to be the next Pino Palladino failed miserably. I would say its near mint condition. I think you'd struggle to find a series 1 in such good condition actually. :)

[quote name='rjb' post='472064' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:39 AM']Sure looks like its been de-fretted to me....

Still a nice bass though.[/quote]

Just curious, but how from the pictures can you tell it's been defretted after purchasing (which is what I assume you mean)? Plus the seller says it came like that, so why do you doubt him?

I've been looking for a lined fretless bass for several weeks and have seen factory lined and defretts, some of which were bloody awful!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

[quote name='rjb' post='472064' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:39 AM']Sure looks like its been de-fretted to me....

Still a nice bass though.[/quote]

I assure you my friend it hasn't - they are just fretlines on the finger board - presumably for numpties like me who need some guidance when using such a wild beast as this. If you want me to take some extreme close ups and post them on here I'll be happy to oblige :)

[quote]Just curious, but how from the pictures can you tell it's been defretted after purchasing (which is what I assume you mean)? Plus the seller says it came like that, so why do you doubt him?[/quote]

Well I'm in the wrong anyway. :)

Manufacturers usually make the lines much more distinctive if they add them, but having read up on these models it appears they did make them with very light fret lines, so there you go!

Good luck with the sale. :rolleyes:

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='472178' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:50 PM']Well I'm in the wrong anyway. :rolleyes:

Manufacturers usually make the lines much more distinctive if they add them, but having read up on these models it appears they did make them with very light fret lines, so there you go!

Good luck with the sale. ;)[/quote]

Yes the first time I ever used it was for opening number of a set which we started playing whilst still in complete darkness. Its at that point you realise the limitations of dark brown fret lines on a rosewood neck :D I did toy with the idea of having Sims LED's fitted but a) didn't have the heart to let someone tamper with my baby, and :) didn't have a spare £300 knocking about!