Why become a member? ×

Schecter Diamond Series

BT224

Hello all. I'm looking for a bass for my daughter, so something beginner but not horrible. I play guitar, so don't know squat about basses. I would be looking for  Squier but came across a Schecter Diamond Series. The cheapest I have seen them are around $500US, this one is sub $200US. Are these even worth what he is asking? I want to get her something that is playable, not junk that will sour her on playing. 

Sch.jpg

Schecter make perfectly good basses - certainly nothing wrong with it for a first bass, but depending on you daughters age/size a 34" scale bass might be a stretch and end up putting her off.

Best advice... take her to a decent guitar shop that has a selection of basses, try some out, find one she likes, then go buy it second hand. If she doesn't gel with it, you can always sell it and not loose a bunch of money. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Best advice... take her to a decent guitar shop that has a selection of basses, try some out, find one she likes, then go buy it second hand. If she doesn't gel with it, you can always sell it and not loose a bunch of money. 

And we wonder why there aren't many good music shops left.

• Like 2

Depending on your financial situation, it's the most cost effective way to introduce someone to an instrument. All the ancillary bits and pieces can be bought from the music shop (strings, straps, bags, plecs etc) and once the new starter has decided they do indeed want to pursue playing an instrument then they can go and buy a new bass that meets their needs and wants as and when they're ready to progress.

Getting someone playing an instrument, by any means, is beneficial for music shops. Even if that first instrument isn't bought from them but uses their help and advice to make an informed decision within the second hand market. The new player is far more likely to return to a shop that helped them in the early stages of their playing - we do similar in the motor industry. Capture the customer for the long game. It absolutely works, and works very well. 👍 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

Thanks, all. She actually plays violin, keyboard, drums, guitar, and percussion in the school band. We were fooling around in the music shop where she takes advanced drum lessons and we buy all our stuff, so we do support them. However the only new instrument we have ever bought was her drum kit, from that same shop. Too many people buy new, use twice, then sell them for half or less. We weren't in a hurry to buy, but we found this one for sale right off the bat and might be too good a bargain to pass up. She liked one almost exactly like it in the store.

18 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There are very few "bad" instruments being produced today - many are better than the "good" instruments which were available when I started.

Agree 100%. I have a Squier SE that would rival pretty much anything we had back in the 80s.

• Like 1

Turned out to be a Schecter Raiden Deluxe 4, whatever that is worth. Daughter said she loved the neck and weight. Owner was an instructor for a few instruments. The bass was set up very well, new strings, in tune, intonation already set. She loves it. Thank you for the responses, it was a big help.  

Edited by BT224
  • Like 4