Why become a member? ×

Touring in europe and hope to go by train.

According to Eurostar rules, luggage must be less than 85cm long
However there is a provision to bring "medium size" instruments (like a cello/guitar etc.) between 86- 136cm long if an extra seat is purchased.te
Their site goes on to say
Harps, Double Basses and other large instruments
If your instrument is longer than 136cm you'll need to send it by courier.

Since the neck of the upright bass we travel with is removable, and case is oblong shape 121 x 71 x 33cm, sounds like it could work for our situation.
although I can imagine some stress getting the oversize "cello" case onto a seat

Is there anyone out there with a detachable neck upright bass that has experience getting their instrument on Eurostar?
Really appreciate any wisdom that can be passed on
  • Like 1

When I travelled with my contrabasoon to Paris and back I booked the additional seat for 20quideaxh way.

This was an absolute bargain to have my instrument next to me and travel by myself on a crowded train.

No one checked the height of my instrument once they saw my instrument ticket and although taller than a cello, it is narrower.

It is substantially smaller than a double bass though.

When I disembarked at Paris there were 2 people getting their double basses from the goods wagon.

This was the policy in 2019, but I presume it has now changed.

The basses had to be booked into the gaurds/goods wagon in advance.

What case/bag do you have for your bass?

Once the neck is off and the bridge down and it's in a soft bag I bet it isn't that much bigger than a cello case.

Quick google shows a BAM hardcase being 46cm wide and 32cm deep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodwind said:

whoops I completely overlooked your dimensions in your post.

If you had it sideways, ie 71cm front to back on the seat it would fit, but would be pressed on the seat in front.

thanks for infos, glad your travel was easy with contrabassoon, couldn't find anything about leg room/seat width etc, guess I'll book the extra seat and travel with hope

• Like 1

As a frequent and recent Eurostar user I’ll add my 2 Euros worth.

The in-carriage luggage space, overhead and at the carriage ends, is often overwhelmed at busier times. People seem to take enormous wheeled cases however long their trip is. So, even though you may have booked a seat for your bass finding space for your, or band mates, smaller stuff may be a chore. I often give in and put up with my small bag on my knee or at my feet for a couple of hours.

Also, if you’ve never used it, be aware that the seating style is closer to an aircraft than a traditional train. Most seats are in pairs, quite upright with not a lot of space between you and the one in front.

I’m replying late because I was at St P International yesterday. Meeting someone rather than travelling myself. I did notice a band in the queue to check-in for the midday Paris train. One of them had what I guessed to be a bass guitar in a flight case. Others had smaller cases; violins etc. They all looked happy - while in the queue at least.

I hope you find a solution that works. It’s a great way to travel to mainland Europe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

As a frequent and recent Eurostar user I’ll add my 2 Euros worth.

The in-carriage luggage space, overhead and at the carriage ends, is often overwhelmed at busier times. People seem to take enormous wheeled cases however long their trip is. So, even though you may have booked a seat for your bass finding space for your, or band mates, smaller stuff may be a chore. I often give in and put up with my small bag on my knee or at my feet for a couple of hours.

Also, if you’ve never used it, be aware that the seating style is closer to an aircraft than a traditional train. Most seats are in pairs, quite upright with not a lot of space between you and the one in front.

I’m replying late because I was at St P International yesterday. Meeting someone rather than travelling myself. I did notice a band in the queue to check-in for the midday Paris train. One of them had what I guessed to be a bass guitar in a flight case. Others had smaller cases; violins etc. They all looked happy - while in the queue at least.

I hope you find a solution that works. It’s a great way to travel to mainland Europe.

yes been with saxes, guitars & recognise the luggage issues you mention,  but never tried bringing a  basscase on a seat like this, & just cant remember size seats, of xray machine etc; think i'd better tell Eurostar dimensions and ask 'em about the limits. Cant miss the gig!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bilstro said:

yes been with saxes, guitars & recognise the luggage issues you mention,  but never tried bringing a  basscase on a seat like this, & just cant remember size seats, of xray machine etc; think i'd better tell Eurostar dimensions and ask 'em about the limits. Cant miss the gig!

As far as I can tell, I think the x-ray machines are the same type and size as used at airports. I reckon you could walk your bass through the doorway-type frame us ‘umans have to go through (I always forget about my trouser belt with the metal buckle 🙄, I’m sure they think I like a touch-up).

One thing I’ve remembered is that since about November last year I’ve seen a lot more activity on the train by the French customs. Groups of surly and armed Doane officers walk up and down the train, every so often asking passengers questions and looking in their luggage. To my eyes they are operating on the ‘profiling’ model. So, the nearer you look to a Mid-Westerners idea of Jesus the less likely you are to be bothered. However, I think you should be aware.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 22:40, Len_derby said:

As far as I can tell, I think the x-ray machines are the same type and size as used at airports. I reckon you could walk your bass through the doorway-type frame us ‘umans have to go through (I always forget about my trouser belt with the metal buckle 🙄, I’m sure they think I like a touch-up).

One thing I’ve remembered is that since about November last year I’ve seen a lot more activity on the train by the French customs. Groups of surly and armed Doane officers walk up and down the train, every so often asking passengers questions and looking in their luggage. To my eyes they are operating on the ‘profiling’ model. So, the nearer you look to a Mid-Westerners idea of Jesus the less likely you are to be bothered. However, I think you should be aware.

thanks for tip, mind you toga and sandals a bit cold for Feb