Why become a member? ×

Pimp Yo' Bass

Stub Mandrel

On 14/01/2023 at 16:00, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yeah, I never understood why anyone would have their high D and G string sound even thinner, and the low E and D string to sound even more boomy in comparison.

But then again it is a known fact that Leo Fender liked to be contrary and do stuff the complete opposite way of everyone else, P pickup orientation defying logic and common sense...

there wasn't really that big of a crowd of luthiers at the time he made that decision though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on the bass, I'm quite partial to a bit of pimpage. Usually reversible, but not always. A few victims examples:

My no. 1 bass is a 1980-ish Japanese CSL Jazz copy, which I picked up for £60 from a local pawn shop 20-odd years ago:

1716030981_CSLBA.thumb.jpg.1fa10c55ec2d19d971e545082547cca4.jpg

Schaller 3D bridge, DiMarzio Model J pickups, stacked controls, black pearl plate & lots of T-Cut. Bought this to hose down & flip, ended up being the nicest-playing J I ever picked up, and the one I'd save in a fire.

Next - simple but effective bling on my MM V7 fretless - clear acrylic scratchplate & replacement knobs:

2076428432_MMV7BA.thumb.jpg.5de2a2cffa4ea619466acf4e91e464ab.jpg

Still haven't ruled out reshaping the headstock to Tele-style...

This one goes beyond mere pimping into full-on butchery. Denizens of the builds folder may already be familiar with this particular exercise in nightmare fuel:

986016731_WesBA.thumb.jpg.8e73e0645a59e9cc9a6207db56934977.jpg

It's a cheapo Ebay thing called a Wesley Europa, picked it up for £100 brand new. neckthrough, active, 2-way truss rod, quite a nicely made thing but with a finish on the back that fell off after 2 or 3 gigs and a misconceived headstock. Languished on the to-do pile until last summer (full uncensored story here), on reflection my Laurus-esque headflap wasn't quite the aesthetic improvement I wanted, so it'll have a second appointment with the hacksaw as soon as it's warm enough to work in the garage...

• Like 5